Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR RWD UK!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect the profit is lower then the AWD LR and it was only offered to increase Tesla's company car sales but a few lease companies took less then planned.
you are right but are we still in a position where Tesla can assume that if people cant get this variant they will just buy another Tesla model and not a Polestar 2 RWD.
In 2019 100% this was the case since there were literally no similar alternatives. Today? maybe not so much hence this new model.
Cost saving aside I can see that companies would want their employees to have maximum range to save wasting company time charging but most would probably actually prefer it if they didn't have straight line performance that would embarrass a supercar so I can see why there was demand for this.

if the rumours have project highland RWD have 10% more battery so maybe another 30 miles of range, they’re ok bumping the RWD range up anyway so aware that more is better. Nothing wrong with a few options in your lineup if you’re building them anyway. If you’ve satisfied your initial demand so you can’t force people into the more powerful car just because of range, why not offer the range separate for a bit less? There will still be plenty that’ll go the extra for the performance and AWD.

Interestingly in the US you get different ranges - standard and LR - but they’re both dual motor

Reactions: ringi
Its likely Tesla car output is still mostly limited by the battery capacity they can buy/make. Hence to make more profits they need high margins on cars that use lot of batteries and mass macket cars to use less batteries so more of the cars can be made.

Do we know if M3 RWD LR has the advanced sound system? Also I suspect that this doesn't have the LFP battery, hence slightly better performance?

I am about to hand back my M3 RWD due to change of job, and I am very tempted to go with the M3 RWD LR.
I'd assume not, it says partial premium interior on the inventory cars. 0-60 slightly quicker than LFP (5.6secs vs 5.8)

Do we know if M3 RWD LR has the advanced sound system? Also I suspect that this doesn't have the LFP battery, hence slightly better performance?

I am about to hand back my M3 RWD due to change of job, and I am very tempted to go with the M3 RWD LR.
It won't be LFP.
Historically an LFP large enough to make an LR would not physically fit in an M3. If it is now possible to fit an LFP battery in to an M3 with the 75-80kwh capacity that would be required for an LR I think it would have been big news and we would have heard about it before now. And ALL LR would probably now have it so I am pretty sure this is going to be essentially the same type of Nickel battery that all the other LR's have.
The Project highland standard range M3 will apparently go up from 60kwh to 66kwh so that may well constitute state of the art for LFP at present in terms of packaging.

It won't be LFP.
Historically an LFP large enough to make an LR would not physically fit in an M3. If it is now possible to fit an LFP battery in to an M3 with the 75-80kwh capacity that would be required for an LR I think it would have been big news and we would have heard about it before now. And ALL LR would probably now have it so I am pretty sure this is going to be essentially the same type of Nickel battery that all the other LR's have.
The Project highland standard range M3 will apparently go up from 60kwh to 66kwh so that may well constitute state of the art for LFP at present in terms of packaging.
Hi,
Just ordered a M3 RWD and also interested to find out what type of battery is in it.

The M3 RWD LR does have the premium sound system. Heated front and rear seats. Just awaiting delivery of my new company car.

Reactions: Bobby-c
It would be good to confirm that once you have the vehicle because Tesla’s own website implies it doesn’t have premium sound, only the upgrade audio.
Tesla’s website doesn’t give too many details about the M3 LR RWD. It’s a fleet only vehicle with a few finding their way to inventory

I had a test drive at Tesla Bristol last Sunday and took out a M3 Performance. The lady at Tesla Bristol said the RWD LR had the premium system, heated front and rear seats and also premium connectivity.

Maybe there’s a slightly different spec if it’s going to a fleet customer

Maybe there’s a slightly different spec if it’s going to a fleet customer
That’s not really how Tesla work - they keep the number of options to a minimum, and I’d take anything a Tesla showroom person told me with a pinch of salt.

From what we know so far the vehicle has the spec and warranty of the standard RWD model, but happy to be proven wrong because this model is the sweet spot for many.

That’s not really how Tesla work - they keep the number of options to a minimum, and I’d take anything a Tesla showroom person told me with a pinch of salt.

From what we know so far the vehicle has the spec and warranty of the standard RWD model, but happy to be proven wrong because this model is the sweet spot for many.
Spec here:

And this new model, which should be deliverable during Q2 (May and June 2023), will also bring about some robust specification and technology, designed specifically for the most demanding of fleet users. A heat pump will remain standard on the car, to draw excess heat from the powertrain to maximise cold weather driving and supercharging speeds.

The Autopilot feature remains standard, with the Automatic Emergency Braking and Lane Departure Avoidance, together with the Tesla App for controlling your vehicle, deciding on charging times and pre-heating the cabin. The RWD LR will include Premium Connectivity, so the Live Traffic Visualisation and Satellite-View Maps is added (for 8 years on each brand new Model 3).

The EV includes plenty of comfort features like the 15” touchscreen, upgraded immersive sound, powered rear boot, dual wireless phone charger, driver lumbar support, heated steering wheel, heated mirrors, rear facing camera, climate control, navigation, collision avoidance assist, lane assist, cabin camera, speed assist, traffic-aware cruise control. Colours will include solid black, pearl white, midnight silver and deep blue.

And on the key performance metrics, the RWD Long Range will still offer 0 - 62mph times of 5.9 seconds, top speeds of 140mph, 11 kW AC and 250 kW DC charging capabilities and towing weights of up to 1000kg (braked). All-in-all a pretty robust EV.