Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at the used market for a Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jaitch We looked at the Model 3 in the showroom at West Drayton and didn't like it. YouTube has loads of videos saying buy a used Model S instead of a new 3. I think they are aimed at different types of customer tbh.

Yep different cars so different markets and appeal.

Just off the blower to Tesla, new earlier collection date - a week today! :)

Good news.

James

Reactions: vitesse
The long quest is over! Our shiny new (to us) MS 70D is now parked outside our front door! The 20 mile drive home from was Tesla in West Drayton quite simply awesome as well.

Thankyou to everyone who contributed to this thread and elsewhere to help me improve my knowledge of Tesla! :)

Reactions: TonyT
The long quest is over! Our shiny new (to us) MS 70D is now parked outside our front door! The 20 mile drive home from was Tesla in West Drayton quite simply awesome as well.

Thankyou to everyone who contributed to this thread and elsewhere to help me improve my knowledge of Tesla! :)

You know the rules, pics or it didn't happen ;)

Well done and welcome :)

IMG_20190510_135928.jpg

It's bye bye to Blue (left) and hello Red :D

Reactions: DJP31
What charger is it? 16 Amps seems a little low

It's a ROLEC and should operate at 32A. That screen grab was taken when it was failing. Later after reconnecting the charge port it went back to normal. Then I went out briefly, reconnected and the ROLEC box soon started to make quite a loud mains frequency buzzing noise. Charging appeared normal though. The noise wasn't right, so I've switched it off for the night.

No loud buzzing this morning but it stopped again for no apparent reason. :(

I've contacted the company that fitted the ROLEC as clearly it will need to be looked at under warranty.

Will almost certainly be the charger most likely something is overheating, Rolecs have a very bad reputation for been unreliable.

Just use the cars 3pin charger, it'll do the job fine overnight whilst the Rolec is sorted.

A certain amount of hum is normal, and slightly more than normal can be luck-of-the-draw on the particular contactor fitted. Very loud is not right, but how loud is "very loud" is a bit hard to say. Clunking on and off is also not right, but is not necessarily the fault of the chargepoint itself.

However, something is seriously wrong in your first screenshot. The two numbers that the car displays are the current actually being drawn (zero in your case, reasonable as it's only "starting to charge"), and the maximum current available from your chargepoint. For a 32A Rolec unit, that should always be 32A but your screenshot shows 16A.

If the chargepoint is socketed and you are using a separate cable, then that 16A is just plausible - it means the chargepoint has misread the cable rating, which could be caused by a poor/dirty connection between plug and socket at the chargepoint end.

If your chargepoint has a tethered cable, then there's no legitimate explanation and something is seriously wrong.

@gangzoom We visited a friend today and simply to try it out we used the UMC cable and that worked flawlessly for the couple of hours it was plugged in. I noticed we were getting much closer to 240V at his place (Bracknell) than mine (West Herts) - typically 235V @10A on the UMC cable compared to around 226V @32A at home via the ROLEC. Our ROLEC is the latest version with, according to @arg ,the latest internals that should solve earlier reliability issues.

@arg Something is definitely up. The cable is tethered. The indicated voltage drops as low as 226V, maybe lower. We've just got back from the day's travels and the ROLEC has now behaved itself (no unexplained stopping and no buzzing) for the last 30 minutes, 226-228V @32A, indicating a range extension rate of 21MPH. It's gone 11PM and the temperature outside is down to 8C.

I had resigned myself to using the UMC at home but it now seems to be working so I will turn in and hopefully the car will be at 90% charge when I wake up in the morning!

On another matter I was pleased to find that an unused (still in its sealed bag) blue Type 2/Type 2 cable was in the boot :) But no Chademo :D

Update: the voltage has now risen to 230V and current is still 32A. But I have also seen it dip as low as 225V