Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loan news on a youtube clip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The kid took the video that weekend of the 10th. The "announcement" is not about the 1000 Model S reservations, nor is it directly about the loans.

The "big announcement" is about a "big deal" that is likely an investment or partnership.

Since this is the sort of thing Tesla should want to announce ASAP (in order to boost confidence in their financial viability and gain more credibility wrt the Model S), the delay suggests that there are some last minute negotiations and details being ironed out.

In the last week of April, the announcement was expected in "a few days".
Last weekend it was expected "Monday or Tuesday".
The latest I'm hearing is by this Tuesday. I guess we'll see.

Hopefully everything works out.

So, Doug, you seem to have had some knowledge ahead of time of this deal brewing. Do you know particular details other than "something is likely coming"? I am not asking you to "spill the beans", just wondering if you know.

A possibly-related tidbit, this time from Steve Jurvetson, posted yesterday in a comment thread on a shot on his Flickr page:

"don't give up hope. Stay tuned 'til Tuesday."

This was in response to someone who posted the following comment:

"i would love to buy an electric car, but i'm sure the oil companies will do everything in their power to stop the proliferation of electric cars.
if the car manufacturers are smart, they would introduce electric vehicles right now, instead of continually churning out monster trucks."

The comment from Jurvetson is here.

So, Doug, you seem to have had some knowledge ahead of time of this deal brewing. Do you know particular details other than "something is likely coming"? I am not asking you to "spill the beans", just wondering if you know.

I'm just good at putting things together. And now the real info:

As expected, the strategic partner is Daimler. Daimler will make a formal announcement about it tomorrow morning at 7am EDT.

StreetInsider.com - Daimler to Announce Strategic Partnership
Daimler to Announce Strategic Partnership

May 18, 2009 2:18 PM EDT
Daimler AG (NYSE: DAI) will announce a new strategic cooperation to make electro mobility a reality.

Press is invited to join the live webcast of the announcement press conference in Stuttgart, Germany, on Tuesday, May 19 at 7:00 am EDT. Login to live Webcast on May 19 at 7:00 am EDT English: Webcast Press Conference, May 19th, 2009 | Daimler > Technology & Innovation

Dr. Thomas Weber, member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG responsible for Group Research & Mercedes-Benz Cars Development, will present details of the partnership jointly with a key executive of our strategic partner.

But it still doesn't say Tesla there?! Just an announcement of a strategic partnership. Certainly it makes sense that it could/would be Tesla, but where is the "2+2" that says this is the real deal?

We will know for sure tomorrow, but how do you know for sure today?

With the Smart deal they already have a partnership of sorts.
Could the new partnership include chassis technology for Model S?
I guess the big news will be some amount of $ from Daimler as equity investment in Tesla?

By the way,

Is this the same announcement you 'heard' they were supposed to announce on Letterman?

As I explained, an announcement was expected that week, and Letterman was just my guess. (Yes, the same announcement, as I said at the beginning of this thread.) In retrospect, given how that show went, doing it on Letterman would have been horrible. Elon barely got a word in, and the details would likely be too complicated for that show. However, they probably hoped to include the info at the party that evening. But it was delayed for whatever reason.