Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left Headlight dimmer than right headlight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I have a question in regards to the headlight dimmer.

I have noticed this for a while but it seems like my left side Headlight Dimmer (the eyelid part?) is dimmer than the right. It was until tonight that I had a closer look and it does seem dimmer. There's nothing wrong with anything else like the high beams or my blinker (so far) but I'm just wondering if this an issue that I should bring to the SC to have them take a look.

I've barely found any topics about this in other forums. One forum had a topic but there was conflicting results. One post saying it was because "Technician has verified customer concern, Technician has verified that light pattern is going to be higher on the front right side, to illuminate road signs and lower on drivers side to prevent blinding oncoming traffic/ drivers." But afterwards someone mentioned they took it to SC and now it's even on both sides. So I'm not exactly sure what is correct. There were people saying that they were going to bring it in and to have it checked out but there was no follow up.

I just want to know if it's something I should worry about. Thanks for any advice!

Reactions: MarkinArch
Is it visually dimmer when looking at the lights standing outside the car when comparing each one? Or noticeably dimmer at night when driving? If the later, it might be normal. If the prior, I would have the service center check it out. It's possible the headlight assembly is defective and some of the LEDs are not illuminating to the same brightness.

Is it visually dimmer when looking at the lights standing outside the car when comparing each one? Or noticeably dimmer at night when driving? If the later, it might be normal. If the prior, I would have the service center check it out. It's possible the headlight assembly is defective and some of the LEDs are not illuminating to the same brightness.

Something like this.

eyelid issue?

is what I'm referring too. Sorry made the post pretty hasty last night.

Here's a closer image of the headlights. It's a little hard to see but you'll notice the eyelid/eyebrow area is (arrows pointing to area), the left is dimmer than the right.

Attachments

• l1new.jpg
    l1new.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 506
  • l2_LI.jpg
    l2_LI.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 234
my drivers side led strip for the drl is also out. jomo25 posted that the svc replaced the entire housing and it went out again after a month. i have an appt with the svc next week. hoping that it’s as easy as a software update. just like jomo25 i too have xpel on the headlights and would suck to have to pay to get it installed again

Last edited:
I also have this issue. Does the little strip on the bottom of the "eyelid" that is suppose to be brighter actually have it's own LED or is it just a reflector? I assume it is just a reflector because from standing height it looks like it is "off" but i noticed when I was on a ladder and looked down on the car the both strips were "on". Maybe its poor alignment inside the housing????

I also have this issue. Does the little strip on the bottom of the "eyelid" that is suppose to be brighter actually have it's own LED or is it just a reflector? I assume it is just a reflector because from standing height it looks like it is "off" but i noticed when I was on a ladder and looked down on the car the both strips were "on". Maybe its poor alignment inside the housing????

I believe that the strip is technically the 'signature' lights that are a part of PUP. I've noticed at different angles that one is brighter then the other, but even the 'dim' side appears to be bright at a certain angle. Could be poor alignment or a strip of LED's that are out.

Edit: I'd also note that mine wasn't always like this

Glad im not nuts! I have the same issue, only way to capture on camera is to take a picture of the reflection in the window. The bright headlight has a set of leds showing on the edgethat are brighter, the dim side does not have the leds showing or on? Should i schedule service?
tesla light.jpg

I had the same problem on my driver's side daytime running lights. I believe it is called the signature LED lights.
Mobile service replaced mine under warranty. I had to show him because he wasn't sure what was wrong. Took about 1.5 hours. He had to drop the front bumper to get to the headlight.
IMG_20200704_155736.jpg