Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leather seat worth it? PUP configured and have 2 naughty boys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
this will be my last question before configuration deadline.
Leather seat worth it? $3300! Is 3rd party after-factory alternative available?

I included PUP because I want the HEPA filter and ventilated front seat. I added subzero because people say it makes cold days driving much more comfortable. I upgraded to 90D because it gives you a peace of mind on road trip.
And that is $15,500 more than I planned at the beginning, not including CA tax.

Now someone told me that for such a premium car you should have leather seats, otherwise it looks cheap. Well.
Yeah, in PUP package it says "if configured with Leather interior, PUP gives you leather armrest and steering wheel. Otherwise, you get ripped out and Tesla thanks for your money."

I personally not very interested on it. I prefer to spend money on something that is not just about "look", but on something that is "useful".

Plus, I feel that the Tan interior looks old fashioned, and the White interior has "Black" headliner. I am not perfectly satisfied with either of them. Though I definitely don't like the "All Black" default multi-patterned interior.

Also even the sales person at Tesla says leather seats can get super hot under sunshine.

Finally, I have two 7 and 5 years old boys. They are super naughty and definitely will step on the chairs with their shoes often. And they spill drinks. Is leather chair easier to maintain in that case? or the opposite?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Seattle Tom
I would think twice about PUP and rough kid use. One of the hidden advantages to non-PUP with seat upgrade is it has no vent holes even in the back seats (which have no vent anyway, yet get holes with PUP for uniformity I suppose). Most agree the white seats are shockingly durable even with kids. Mine are 5 months and 5000 miles old with 2 young boys and look brand new. Black leather might not show marks like tan leather, but it does show scratches more so than the white from what I have seen in showrooms. Hope this helps. Good luck with your order today.

I didn't get leather seats. I volunteer for Habitat for Humanity and I found that I was driving the car carrying on my person considerable quantities of mud, sawdust and paint. My wife made me a vinyl bib for the driver's seat that I put on when I am totally filthy.

How about leather seats w/o PUP? As for the kids, I've made it very clear to mine that if they mess it up, they will have to ride in their mom's car only. So far so good.

I have black next gens and they look perfect. Just one scratch on a rear door panel (where the feet tend to be).

Reactions: bushburner
Just got the reply from the sales person regarding to PUP and MP chair combination
"
Armrests and door panels would be fake leather

-the steering wheel will be leather but where the horn is on the wheel will be fake leather.

They don’t look a lot whole lot different leather is just softer when you touch it."

Sounds not a big rip off for me? I will keep hesitating for next 3 days but if I don't get the leather, I probably won't regret?

Yes, the textile is pretty waterproof and holds up well even after a lot of rain.

Just got the reply from the sales person regarding to PUP and MP chair combination
"
Armrests and door panels would be fake leather

-the steering wheel will be leather but where the horn is on the wheel will be fake leather.

They don’t look a lot whole lot different leather is just softer when you touch it."

Sounds not a big rip off for me? I will keep hesitating for next 3 days but if I don't get the leather, I probably won't regret?

Yes, the textile is pretty waterproof and holds up well even after a lot of rain.
I have white synthetic non-PUP and am very happy. My 3 kids haven't been able to destroy them in the past 5.5 months - not for the lack of trying. ;)

Just did another test drive today. Every car they have is leather. I feel that the leather is good. And the textile sample they hang on the wall is just terrible. Not sure is this a trick they use to make people buy the leather. Also the white interior is synthetic so no animal-slaughting concern.
So I added white to my config. Anyone think differently please stop me by tomorrow. Thanks.

Reactions: Scmbug and ModelX
Good choice. You're ok with the black headliner?

The white synthetic material is much softer than either the black or tan leathers. It also helps to brighten up the interior. I ordered it as well. Similar situation, actually. I started with a fairly stripped 75D build and ended up with a loaded 90D.
Only one question: do you make the decision with your wife?

• Funny
Reactions: hmmm
My family went with leather seats but not PUP *specifically* to avoid the perforated leather.

- Leather seats are easier to clean up from spills etc. The 10yo Prius this X replaced had fabric seats that were just a miasma of child stains.
- The perforation in the PUP seemed to directly negate this benefit. I could just imagine juice dripping down into the seat....or worse milk....

For us, the auto-opening doors, filter, etc didn't seem worth the cost and the above. Also we didn't like the look of the Alacantra. You, of course, may have different priorities.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter