Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Knock/bang during charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried the search but kept finding crashes…

Had my 3 for about 18m/20k miles now (nov19 facelift). Most times I use the supercharger I notice after a few minutes a fairly loud knock/clunk coming from under the car, also feel the vibration in my feet. Only happens once per time and doesn’t appear to be an issue… but anyone else get this??
Guess my main question is should I continue to ignore as ‘TADTS’ or do I have an issue?
Thanks

Had my 3 for about 18m/20k miles now (nov19 facelift). Most times I use the supercharger I notice after a few minutes a fairly loud knock/clunk coming from under the car, also feel the vibration in my feet. Only happens once per time and doesn’t appear to be an issue… but anyone else get this??
Guess my main question is should I continue to ignore as ‘TADTS’ or do I have an issue?
Thanks

I had a bit of a fright the first few times I used a supercharger. Pops and bangs galore. "WTF is that", thought I, "that can not be right."

A bit of web research reassured me that this is totally normal, something to do with the battery cells expanding during rapid charging. Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Chrisgillett

Thanks

Mine occasionally has an "elevation clonk" ... I call it that because it's like your ears popping when driving up or down a significant hill ... it did it quite consistently in the early days but a software update altered the action of some kind of pressure releasing valve according to the release notes at the time. These expansion type noises never seem to be an indication of anything worrying AFAIK.

Reactions: ACarneiro