Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key West (Eco Discovery Center) destination chargers are moving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car park and area around Mote Marine Lab's Eco Discovery Center in Key West belongs to the city and is about to start redevelopment; as a result of this Mote has been asked to remove the Tesla destination charger and the Clipper Creek charger we have there. It is expected that the two units will be disconnected later this month.

There are now at least 16 other Tesla destination chargers in Key West and numerous other ChargePoints as well as the Superchargers up at Marathon. Mote does not own any other property in Key West so they have agreed to install the two units at their new Tropical Research Center on Summerland Key; this provides a mid-point between Key West and Marathon as well as being helpful to anyone touring the keys.

The Tropical Research Center is primarily a center for the accelerated replanting of the Florida Coral Reefs which have been damaged due to ocean acidification; however, it should be noted that building is under construction and not expected to open until the Spring. I'll come back with an update when Mote has a definitive opening date.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
The car park and area around Mote Marine Lab's Eco Discovery Center in Key West belongs to the city and is about to start redevelopment; as a result of this Mote has been asked to remove the Tesla destination charger and the Clipper Creek charger we have there. It is expected that the two units will be disconnected later this month.

There are now at least 16 other Tesla destination chargers in Key West and numerous other ChargePoints as well as the Superchargers up at Marathon. Mote does not own any other property in Key West so they have agreed to install the two units at their new Tropical Research Center on Summerland Key; this provides a mid-point between Key West and Marathon as well as being helpful to anyone touring the keys.

The Tropical Research Center is primarily a center for the accelerated replanting of the Florida Coral Reefs which have been damaged due to ocean acidification; however, it should be noted that building is under construction and not expected to open until the Spring. I'll come back with an update when Mote has a definitive opening date.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the update.

If I recall correctly the Summerland Key location is fenced in. When this location is operational is it likely that the charging equipment will not be available 24/7?

Larry

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the update.

If I recall correctly the Summerland Key location is fenced in. When this location is operational is it likely that the charging equipment will not be available 24/7?

Larry

Good question. The whole side has been razed and new construction is already underway. As this change just came up I've already asked if we can make sure it's in an open area; I'm waiting on an answer as it meant some site changes. I'll update as soon as I know for certain.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Nigel,

Thanks for installing the first Tesla charger in Key West. It allowed many of us to finally take our Model S to the Keys.

Will the Tropical Research Center on Summerland have a area to tour while charging?

Thanks,

Roland

Confirming that the chargers have now been disconnected.

As far as the Summerland Key facility is concerned, I'm still working on that. Meanwhile I'm in discussions to get the chargers re-installed in Key West after the city work is finished. I know there's lots of hotels now with Tesla chargers in Key West but I think there's still a need for a 'public', drive up, no-restrictions, charger; that will be my preferred location.

It's going to take a while due to all the construction work, so have patience but I'll come back and update this thread as I can.