Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeda Charger Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides the bad order experience (Promised every week for a month that the charger would ship "this week" and they didnt include the free spacer they offered and ignored repeated efforts to cancel the order) I opened the charger and it barely works.

Using an iPhone 8 with no case there is only about a 1/8" spot that I need to hit for it to start charging. Even then it only picks it up about 25% of the time. I often have to pick up the phone and put it back down several times for it to start charging. To make the problem worse the phone does not touch the baseboard in this spot so once it slides down the pad to the baseboard it stops charging.

Any advice?

I put the iPhone as close to the center divider as possible and it charges every time no problem. It does feel like it's a really slow charge though.

I put the iPhone as close to the center divider as possible and it charges every time no problem. It does feel like it's a really slow charge though.

Slower than normal? Wireless charging is balls slow. I own this Jeda pad as well which is also starting to act up and it’s always been as slow to charge as I’ve expected because that’s how it is.

Slower than normal? Wireless charging is balls slow. I own this Jeda pad as well which is also starting to act up and it’s always been as slow to charge as I’ve expected because that’s how it is.

As slow as it's been when I first got it. It charges like 10% of the phone battery in an hour. I figured it was just because of slow usb power and wireless charging but I dunno. I thought I read something about somehow plugging into the 12v port for faster charging but I'm not sure how one would do that.

I just got a TapTes version today and it wouldn't charge left or bottom either. I swapped the cable between the usb ports and then left and bottom works and not right. So in my case it's the Tesla's left usb port. As others have stated this seems due to Tesla software update as both ports worked before. I don't even had a hub, USB drive or anything else.

I bought my Gen 2 Jeda Pad in April, and the Left side and bottom is no longer working today. I feel my left USB port is now defective since I brought the pack in my house and used the same cable to test the left, bottom and right side of the pad. Only the R side of the pad is charging now. I just contacted Jeda, and will see how they respond. Unfortunately, from what I read online, the warranty is only for 6 months and I'm beyond that point. My 15$ CAD wireless Qi charger pad at home is 3 years old and still going strong.

In the back of my head though, I only connected the L USB port and left the R USB port unplugged since I purchased because I wanted a side to not charge when I don't want to do so. This morning, I came back to the car after grabbing a coffee and noticed my car automatically reset. Was there a short circuit? This is only speculation at this point for me.

EDIT: Jeda replied to me within 5 minutes for additional info and address, quite a quick response, now to see what they'll do with my new information I gave them.

I thought I read something about somehow plugging into the 12v port for faster charging but I'm not sure how one would do that.
  • Low tech TEMPORARY solution to test the theory: using a cigarette lighter USB charging adaptor with sufficient amps and an A/B USB extension cable - the cable would be painfully visible. (I'm actually tempted to test this simply out of curiosity)
  • Medium tech semi-permanent solution: same setup but punching a hole in the wall between the armrest storage and the center console.
  • High tech solution: introduce the right battery between the USB port and the charger.
  • Higher tech permanent solution: tap into 12 volt power and wire a convertor to a USB port in the center console.
Though all of these except the third one would circumvent the need for a hub.

• Medium tech semi-permanent solution: same setup but punching a hole in the wall between the armrest storage and the center console.

You can also do this without making any permanent modifications by just popping off some trim pieces which allow you to route USB cables from the 12V charger, under the cupholder, along the console side, and all the way up to the wireless pad. Replacing the trim effectively keeps the cables fixed in place and mostly out of sight. I used OEM Samsung micro-USB cables that are 3.5 or 4 ft long with micro-USB ends that were narrow enough to squeeze through the hinge of the console lid.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Matsayz
Unless I am missing something, this is for running power directly your phone. We were discussing getting a higher wattage to the wireless charger. It doesn't look like a full-size USB will fit through.

Using the 12volt plug instead of the two USB’s in the front cubby you will get more power. There’s a bunch of threads on how to do exactly what he’s showing in the picture. It’s stupid that the two cubbies aren’t connected but the trim pops of surprisingly easy (maybe not considering build quality problems).

Using the 12volt plug instead of the two USB’s in the front cubby you will get more power. There’s a bunch of threads on how to do exactly what he’s showing in the picture. It’s stupid that the two cubbies aren’t connected but the trim pops of surprisingly easy (maybe not considering build quality problems).
But again: the discussion was about getting more wattage out of a wireless charger (not getting more power directly to the phone). I believe all wireless chargers tap into a full size USB outlet, so this trick won't work (as I understand it).

Don't get me wrong: it looks like a great hack for WIRED charging, but this conversation is about wireless charging.

Don't get me wrong: it looks like a great hack for WIRED charging, but this conversation is about wireless charging.

I have those micro-USB cables plugged into the Jeda V2 wireless pad. Like Matsayz said, running the cables under the trim along the side of the console is a common no-drill way of getting power from the 12V port to anything in the front cubby.

But again: the discussion was about getting more wattage out of a wireless charger (not getting more power directly to the phone). I believe all wireless chargers tap into a full size USB outlet, so this trick won't work (as I understand it).

You’re only going to get the max output that Jeda says you can get. I’ve posted a screenshot and the link to what you’re able to max output on the pad. It’s also up to your phone on what it can receive. The only way to get MOAR power to the pad to output more is to use the 12V with a dual usb plug into it.

Jeda Products | Tesla Model 3 Wireless Charger and Tesla Model 3 USB Hub

Attachments

• C94BF31E-B843-42E9-A182-B4B94E6BFDC7.png
    C94BF31E-B843-42E9-A182-B4B94E6BFDC7.png
    460.7 KB · Views: 66
I was unaware that the Jeda hub had a USB-C in. My apologies

I think you missed what I posted and it doesn’t help that Jeda’s website is utter garbage in displaying or describing their products. The square with 2 USB-A ports and 2 USB-C ports is their Hub. That’s what their wireless pad usually gets it’s power from which as it happens also plugs directly into the USB-A post in that Tesla has in the storage cubby up front.

But! If you plug in a 12V dual USB-A plug into the 12V plug you can route those two wires to the charging pad to POWAH the pad which will allow it to charge a phone UP TO 15W per their advertising. That’s the only way to get a higher charge rate to your phone/device...without hardwiring and all that fun stuff.

This is the dual USB plug for the 12V

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FHZRQN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QGkqEb1W1WKST

Attachments

• 266E5B54-E328-4802-AA6E-8102863CE0CB.png
    266E5B54-E328-4802-AA6E-8102863CE0CB.png
    809.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 62763407-148A-4EEC-AAB3-98BCDAF746E7.jpeg
    62763407-148A-4EEC-AAB3-98BCDAF746E7.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: alexucf and vnxs