Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this Model 3 repairable or Totaled ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was in a collision with a Chevy Truck and glad to have been able to walk away from.the accident. The front of the car is a mess but no damage to Driver door. Only the driver side front and knee airbags went off.

Would appreciate if anyone who had a front end damage could share potential estimates they got from body shop.

Everyone who has seen the car said its Totaled, but Insurance company doesnt think so, and wants to inspect for repairability. What's your thought.

Attachments

• 20220211_131052.jpg
    20220211_131052.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 525
  • 20220209_131931.jpg
    20220209_131931.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 256
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Glad you're OK. Yes it's obviously totaled but the insurance company just needs to follow their procedure before officially declaring it so. I'm sure they have a rule forbidding agents from making such estimations over email.
I sure hope thats all there is to it.

They are having it pulled from the tow yard, where it's been sitting for past 3 weeks to be taken to a body shop ~50miles away to get an estimate. They had got an photo inspection report from the Tow yard, but decides an body shop inspection was needed to deem non repairable. Seemed like wasted resources & additional cost to me but they gotta do what they gotta do unless their initial assessment is its not totaled.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I sure hope thats all there is to it.

They are having it pulled from the tow yard, where it's been sitting for past 3 weeks to be taken to a body shop ~50miles away to get an estimate. They had got an photo inspection report from the Tow yard, but decides an body shop inspection was needed to deem non repairable. Seemed like wasted resources & additional cost to me but they gotta do what they gotta do unless their initial assessment is its not totaled.
What insurer is this? Your damage is well past the front shock towers, ie. serious frame damage. That's grounds for totaling. Your insurer may not have much experience but soon as they start adding up the cost it will become obvious real soon. Also check the laws in your state regarding cost to repair vs value of the car.

Reactions: mangrove79
What insurer is this? Your damage is well past the front shock towers, ie. serious frame damage. That's grounds for totaling. Your insurer may not have much experience but soon as they start adding up the cost it will become obvious real soon. Also check the laws in your state regarding cost to repair vs value of the car.
It's the one with the "You are in good hands" jingle. 🤣🤣

They are plenty experienced in Tesla and as per my local Tesla approved body shop horrible. That's why the body shop won't work with this particular insurance. Another reason why it needs to be towed 50 miles instead of 7.

It's the one with the "You are in good hands" jingle. 🤣🤣

They are plenty experienced in Tesla and as per my local Tesla approved body shop horrible. That's why the body shop won't work with this particular insurance. Another reason why it needs to be towed 50 miles instead of 7.
I see you are from CT. For your next Tesla you might want to consider switching from the "good hands" people to Commerce Insurance, which is a division of MAPFRE Insurance. They do business in CT. In October, someone backed into my M3. It was still drivable (all damage was cosmetic), so I took it to a Tesla Authorized Collision Center in Worcester MA. Their initial estimate was $6200. Ultimately it cost $9260, but there was never an issue with the insurance company. Other than the wait for the repairs to be completed, it was a simple, straight forward transaction. But yeah, your car certainly looks totaled to me. Good luck.

I see you are from CT. For your next Tesla you might want to consider switching from the "good hands" people to Commerce Insurance, which is a division of MAPFRE Insurance. They do business in CT. In October, someone backed into my M3. It was still drivable (all damage was cosmetic), so I took it to a Tesla Authorized Collision Center in Worcester MA. Their initial estimate was $6200. Ultimately it cost $9260, but there was never an issue with the insurance company. Other than the wait for the repairs to be completed, it was a simple, straight forward transaction. But yeah, your car certainly looks totaled to me. Good luck.
Thanks for the input. That's the at fault drivers Insurance. I won't be buying coverage from Good Hands or Good Neighbors guys based on past experience.

I am currently with Farmers but will remember to cross shop Commerce/Mapfre when renewal is due later this year.

I had to go through the same thing! It took 50 days and three tows before State Farm officially totaled my car... I had to go through my own UI insurance since the party that ran the red light had the state minimum coverage from the lizard which did not even come close to covering it ($25K won't cover anything these days).

Thanks for the input. That's the at fault drivers Insurance. I won't be buying coverage from Good Hands or Good Neighbors guys based on past experience.

I am currently with Farmers but will remember to cross shop Commerce/Mapfre when renewal is due later this year.
Makes sense it was the other driver's insurance - don't think any sane person could afford to insure their Tesla with "good hands". At least that was my experience after 15 satisfactory years with them, and even letting them insure the first Tesla for a year - but two Tesla's, $$$$$, bye!

I've seen Teslas that I was sure would be repairable. Many of them looked like they had maybe $5k of damage... yet they ended up being totaled. So yeah, I'd say that's more than totaled! Is there a word for that? ;)

Glad everyone was OK!

Mike

Wouldn't any insurance company that is representing only the other driver be inclined to treat you in an unfriendly manner?
That's generally not the case if you are dealing with a large insurance carrier and for most common insurance claims. Exceptions do exist, but in general the claims process is fairly regulated and the same insurance personel handle both insured and 3rd party claims so their approach would be the same.

Once you get into complexity of hitting limits, dispute in agreed rates between a body shop vs a particular carrier, etc the experience could vary.