Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want a controller for Atari Games

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the FAIL that is Phone-as-a-key, I think we've had enough of trying to run things over Bluetooth. Stick to a nice, simple, reliable USB game controller.

Don’t know what your problem is but my phone as key works perfect. It used to work 95% of the time but it’s gotten perfect over the last several months. I can’t actually remember the last time I pulled out my keycard.

Hey guys it's late but I decided to test a couple controllers. I tested a nintendo gamepad with USB adapter and it did not work.

I test Xbox 360 USB controller and it works, but you have to have it plugged in before the game is loaded. Also it works with the left stick, and A/B buttons but the pad didn't do anything.

I will try the 8bitdo pad soon.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
This controller works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XB6FRPR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's $13.

My verdict is that it works great for Asteroids and Moon Lander -- actually better than the steering wheel/screen controls. It's not so great for Centipede, Millipede, and Missile Command. The direction buttons move the "cursor" too fast in each direction making it hard to have accuracy when playing the game.

Now I use a hybrid approach. I still use the screen to move around (Centipede, Millipede, and Missile Command), but keep the controller in my other hand to fire. Better to wear out the $13 controller than the scroll wheel on the steering wheel.

I can't quite figure out how to use the controller with Pole Position. It seems like you use the A button and the right trigger simultaneously to accelerate, but still need to use the actual steering wheel to steer.

I can report that these smaller SNES-style controllers do *not* work:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7ANDLC/

And, as a follow-up, I'll report that while the Logitech F310 controller basically works, it doesn't provide fine enough control to play very well. Like that XBox-like controller above, the slightest nudge in the movement controls (either using the analog stick or the directional pad) causes too much movement. In something like Centipede, you can't move your character a small distance.

I found that an actual XBox One wireless controller (connected with a USB cable) does give fine enough control to play reasonably well.

I'm using the 8bitDo, paired with my PS4 controller. Works great
Can you better explain this? I have an 8bitDo, but I don't understand what you mean it is paired with your PS4 controller?
Do the D-pads on these controllers work or just the analog sticks? I hate the analog sticks for most of these games.

I plugged in my 8bitDo but it didn't work. Maybe I should try it again with new updates?

Can you better explain this? I have an 8bitDo, but I don't understand what you mean it is paired with your PS4 controller?
Do the D-pads on these controllers work or just the analog sticks? I hate the analog sticks for most of these games.

I plugged in my 8bitDo but it didn't work. Maybe I should try it again with new updates?
I believe they are referring to the 8bitdo bluetooth adapter

Micro-USB to Red Crystal Dualshock PS4 controller works for me, plugged into a usb hub thats in my front port

Example
4xP47bC

Reactions: flashflooder