Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a little worry about the direct sunlight and glare.

I wonder also how difficult it would be to get used of using the screen to control everything
especially functions like climate control, instead of reaching a knob without looking at it.

no-need-model-3-hud-02.jpg

jalopnik-autopilot.jpg

Reactions: diesel and X-Auto

I wonder also how difficult it would be to get used of using the screen to control everything
especially functions like climate control, instead of reaching a knob without looking at it.

jalopnik-autopilot.jpg

We should be getting used to the digital functions, but it might be a distraction in the start to use the icons for the stuff we're used to do with knobs like the Aircon and seat adjustment etc. ?

Difficult to say unless we see what a truly capable HUD can do. Also unfortunately these days there is a grey area between needs and wants. And as @LectrikPower says, a single screen may not be enough. Especially if a floating screen has the tendency to be knocked off or due to severe glare, it can be a safety hazard.

Some of the early leaders of the green car revolution such as Toyota, has found out painfully, that it's not only about what people need but also what people may like and want. Tesla has so far done well in that department but should know not to be complacent and take the eye off the ball because every opportunity missed is an opportunity handed to the competition.

Reactions: X-Auto
Difficult to say unless we see what a truly capable HUD can do. Also unfortunately these days there is a grey area between needs and wants.

Some of the early leaders of the green car revolution such as Toyota, has found out painfully, that it's not only about what people need but also what people may like and want. Tesla has so far done well in that department but should know not to be complacent and take the eye off the ball because every opportunity missed is an opportunity handed to the competition.

Rightly Said !

Reactions: Jayc
Bearing in mind I've only driven a Model S once on a long trip but I did find it useful to be monitoring the autopilot display as I was supervising it driving me. It was good to be able to see what it was "seeing". I don't know how I feel about having to look down and to the side a lot more while on autopilot.

jalopnik-autopilot.jpg
Easy. Current Tesla owners have been using a screen since 2012 and the M3 screen is actually much easier to reach than on my MS. Have never had a glare issue on my screen.

Reactions: X-Auto
Easy. Current Tesla owners have been using a screen since 2012 and the M3 screen is actually much easier to reach than on my MS. Have never had a glare issue on my screen.

Frankly, using the big screen while driving is still much harder - even after three years and now two Teslas - for e.g. climate control than doing the same by feel on another premium car.

For some things the big screen is worse. That said, I have no problem with the Model S/X setup: a big instrument cluster screen and a big touchscreen are a nice combo. It has some weaknesses, but also many upsides.

Putting it all in one, though... jury is still definitely out on that...

Bearing in mind I've only driven a Model S once on a long trip but I did find it useful to be monitoring the autopilot display as I was supervising it driving me. It was good to be able to see what it was "seeing". I don't know how I feel about having to look down and to the side a lot more while on autopilot.
Yeah but this screen is big and right in your face. Will be interesting to see how it displays AP data tho.

Frankly, using the big screen while driving is still much harder - even after three years and now two Teslas - for e.g. climate control than doing the same by feel on another premium car.

For some things the big screen is worse. That said, I have no problem with the Model S/X setup: a big instrument cluster screen and a big touchscreen are a nice combo. It has some weaknesses, but also many upsides.

Putting it all in one, though... jury is still definitely out on that...
But climate control is so easy. Once you have your climate preferences set(temp, fan speed) you just tap the icon and presto.

But climate control is so easy. Once you have your climate preferences set(temp, fan speed) you just tap the icon and presto.

I still find it harder than with a tactile button/roller setup. Most importantly it requires looking away from the road, unlike actual buttons. It is not a big deal for me, but it is a downside.

If I had to use the touchscreen to operate the radio (or the functions the stalks control), that would probably be a showstopper for me. Luckily the steering wheel controls in Model S/X are reasonably good and even quite configurable. It always feels so awkward to adjust e.g. volume on the touchscreen, but luckily I rarely have to. Hopefully Model 3 retains a good steering wheel key setup and traditional stalks (or a similarly tactile replacement at least)...

A touchscreen is not suited for everything.

Reactions: N5329K and ikjadoon
I still find it harder than with a tactile button/roller setup. Most importantly it requires looking away from the road, unlike actual buttons. It is not a big deal for me, but it is a downside.

If I had to use the touchscreen to operate the radio (or the functions the stalks control), that would probably be a showstopper for me. Luckily the steering wheel controls are reasonably good. It always feels so awkward to adjust e.g. volume on the touchscreen. Hopefully Model 3 retains a good steering wheel key setup and traditional stalks...

A touchscreen is not suited for everything.
I do wonder if there will be any steering wheel controls and I'm assuming there will be voice commands?

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
I do wonder if there will be any steering wheel controls and I'm assuming there will be voice commands?

The Model 3 stadium event prototype did have D-pad-like steering wheel controls, suggesting something may well be coming. And of course there was the spaceship comment in response to a Twitter question about the steering wheel area/setup...

If they ditch steering wheel controls for one touchsreen and voice only (which I agree will be there too), I would say that is a major mistake. That is too much at once. A lot of the issues with Model S/X touchscreen and addressed by the steering wheel controls. Taking them away sounds like another very risky move Tesla would be wiser not to make.

Then again, they took away the instrument cluster too, so who knows...

I don't want a HUD, but I do want a normal Model S-type instrument cluster, along with the screen.

A point no one has mentioned yet is that with this big center mounted display as the ONLY control interface, if it fails, you're SOL.

Plus, light from the display will shine through the rear window and distract drivers behind you, much like minivans today with little LCD displays over the rear seats to keep the damn kids quiet while they watch some cartoon movie.

At least the Model S/X large screen was located lower down, having this one big screen up on top of the dashboard feels really out of place and in the way.

Reactions: ikjadoon
I agree about your concerns regarding the center screen freezing.
My center screen has frozen while driving and rebooted numerous times. It was a bit annoying, but the dash display made it just an irritant.

I hope that tesla has some sort of "safety" mode that allows it to display core information like speed, even if the software is rebooting.

Beyond that, I'm fine with the single screen. I plan to wait to order until 2019, once I can get a fully loaded 3.
The bugs should be sorted by then :)
I have faith they will make it work, this car is too important for the company to fail.

I don't want a HUD, but I do want a normal Model S-type instrument cluster, along with the screen.

A point no one has mentioned yet is that with this big center mounted display as the ONLY control interface, if it fails, you're SOL.

Plus, light from the display will shine through the rear window and distract drivers behind you, much like minivans today with little LCD displays over the rear seats to keep the damn kids quiet while they watch some cartoon movie.

At least the Model S/X large screen was located lower down, having this one big screen up on top of the dashboard feels really out of place and in the way.

Reactions: ikjadoon
This is a pretty nitpicky concern. I'm sure it has "night mode" with darker theme and lower brightness. Plus I kinda like getting to watch crappy kids movies playing in the car in front of me! You can just make up whar they are saying using your imagination...