Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove fingerprint smudges off matte vinyl wrap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Does anyone know how to remove fingerprint smudges from a matte vinyl wrap without damaging finish (I know it's hard to see from photo)? I've already tried everything with no luck (alcohol, soap, chemical guys, etc....). It has ceramic coat already on top if that makes a difference. Any advise would help. Thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20230627_172456182~2.jpg
    PXL_20230627_172456182~2.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 106
I never figured this out on the one car that I had wrapped. My wife placed her hand on the car with some sunscreen on it and I could never bring the finish back to matte. Hopefully you can figure it out, but worst case you just get that door re-wrapped. Mine was on a 911 and would have required re-wrapping probably 50% of the car.

Call the shop that did the work.

Are you certain that those were not there BEFORE the ceramic? Might be under the coating...

If it's a surface issue, there should be some way to safely remove it, especially with that ceramic, unless it's something that has sat and etched it's way in... then you might need to remove that ceramic and reapply to that spot, probably better to leave it to a professional since that's a high visibility area.

Call the shop that did the work.

Are you certain that those were not there BEFORE the ceramic? Might be under the coating...

If it's a surface issue, there should be some way to safely remove it, especially with that ceramic, unless it's something that has sat and etched it's way in... then you might need to remove that ceramic and reapply to that spot, probably better to leave it to a professional since that's a high visibility area.
yes, I believe the smudges are under the coating. I think the only way to remove the coating is to polish it?

Correct steps my Xpel cert vendor when through:

All indoors and over two days
Day 1
Drop off early
Wash
Paint correct
PPF install, dry and cure
Day 2
Ceramic covering the entire vehicle
Dry
PU late day
I inspected