Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to correctly use the Vent windows feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought our Model 3 RWD a month ago when the window vent feature was unavailable (apparently due to some safety concerns). However, it's back now in the app but we're not sure how best to use it:

1) I drove to work and got out of the car. The windows were all up. I vented them in the app and walked off. A bit later, they rolled up on their own. This was unexpected.

2) I concluded that #1 was because of a profile setting to close windows automatically. OK, so I disabled that setting. I can vent the windows and they stay down now, but what if I accidentally leave them all the way down (and not just vented)?

3) Also, I now get an alerts that "multiple windows are not fully closed". This is a very helpful alert if the windows are all the way down, but I don't want this alert if they're just vented.

So in a nutshell, there doesn't appear to be a way to ask the car to treat Vented windows (merely an inch down) as different from when they're all the way down. Any suggestions?

Personally I’ve never used it as I don’t like leaving my windows cracked since it makes it easier for things (or people) to get into the car.

I just turn on climate to precondition at the end of the work day to cool or heat the cabin and it works just fine. But if you didn’t want to turn on climate you can vent then undies to help heat escape as you walk to your car.

Reactions: Aellinsar
I dont know about this being "how to correctly use the vent feature" but the way I use it is to vent the windows only when I turn on the AC remotely, shortly before returning to the car when its parked in the hot sun.

Said another way, I dont think its in any way, shape or form necessary or even desirable to leave the windows down all the time, even vents.. because why? The reason you would do that is to help the car not "get as hot for when you get back into it" and you can do the same thing by remotely triggering the AC so its comfortable when you get to it.

Venting during that initial "car is 140 degrees, and you just turned on AC" time, like 3-4 minutes, is enough.

Is that the correct way? I dont know, but I have been using it that way for almost 5 years now and dont see any reason to do it any other way, for myself anyway.

I dont know about this being "how to correctly use the vent feature" but the way I use it is to vent the windows only when I turn on the AC remotely, shortly before returning to the car when its parked in the hot sun.

Said another way, I dont think its in any way, shape or form necessary or even desirable to leave the windows down all the time, even vents.. because why? The reason you would do that is to help the car not "get as hot for when you get back into it" and you can do the same thing by remotely triggering the AC so its comfortable when you get to it.

Venting during that initial "car is 140 degrees, and you just turned on AC" time, like 3-4 minutes, is enough.

Is that the correct way? I dont know, but I have been using it that way for almost 5 years now and dont see any reason to do it any other way, for myself anyway.

That's what I do - I have a 5 to 10 minute walk from my office to my car. I use my phone to turn on AC and if the weather is otherwise nice I'll vent the windows. I have no evidence to suggest it cools faster, but creating gaping holes near the top of a hot air container I have to assume the cooling process goes quicker.

My 2019 model keeps the windows at Vent regardless if I set them before getting out of the car or while standing next to it. Walk away lock does not affect them.

I use it mostly on sunny days when the cabin overheat protection will kick in. Having the windows open a bit reduces the amount of AC needed.

I agree with you rupesh97, if setting the app to 'vent' mode, it should not send the notification that multiple windows are open. As it is being initiated by the owner.
If a window is left slightly open and the 'vent' option is off, then the app should send the notification.