Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hints for M3 front plate/back plate registration sticker/inspection(registration)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just brought my M3 from the mainland.

Looking for help from experienced members here:
  • Can I get away with no front plate during inspection? If not, can you recommend a plate mount that doesn't require drilling?
  • Where do I get a backplate mount with the right tag space for the yearly registration sticker?
  • Where should I go for my inspection? Tesla or local shop (recommendations near Town, please)?
Many thanks! Mahalo.

Aloha, Welcome to paradise. Sadly, no, you can not get by (as far as has been reported) any Inspection Stations without the front plate. After you've been here awhile, you will notice how many Teslas though, don't have a front plate. (I'm on my 10th year).
I recommend the Service Center. Who better is going to "get you in and out" that those that know the car.
Backplate mount made from plastic prevent scratching the paint. Go to Min Plastic, 921 Kaamahu Pl, Honolulu, HI 96817. Has them already made. About $15 or so. They've been making them for us about 10 years. Looks some what like this but refreshed when they changed the sticker design. Put it on your car, before the Inspection, and your Inspection Station will know what you want. Don't let the protective paper fool you. The plastic is clear.
For front plate, this is what I use. And I added a little plastic hook so it stays in case the suction cups give up. It only on the car when I pull into inspection and leave. Source for plate and suction cups, Amazon.

Anything else, we can help with, sing out.

Attachments

• Plastic_Plate1.JPG
    Plastic_Plate1.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Suction Cup Plate.jpg
    Suction Cup Plate.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 54
Aloha, Welcome to paradise. Sadly, no, you can not get by (as far as has been reported) any Inspection Stations without the front plate. After you've been here awhile, you will notice how many Teslas though, don't have a front plate. (I'm on my 10th year).
I recommend the Service Center. Who better is going to "get you in and out" that those that know the car.
Backplate mount made from plastic prevent scratching the paint. Go to Min Plastic, 921 Kaamahu Pl, Honolulu, HI 96817. Has them already made. About $15 or so. They've been making them for us about 10 years. Looks some what like this but refreshed when they changed the sticker design. Put it on your car, before the Inspection, and your Inspection Station will know what you want. Don't let the protective paper fool you. The plastic is clear.
For front plate, this is what I use. And I added a little plastic hook so it stays in case the suction cups give up. It only on the car when I pull into inspection and leave. Source for plate and suction cups, Amazon.

Anything else, we can help with, sing out.

Fantastic! I took your suggestion and drove to Min Plastic. The plate I got from them was slightly different - it was just the bracket to the right side for the inspection label. They only charged me $10, probably due to less material.

I love your front plate with the suction cups. Could I trouble you for an amazon link?
I'm using a dinky plate with sticker backing that's not as good as yours, and when I searched amazon, all I could find were $100 unnecessarily complex contraptions, especially if I intend to go plateless after the safety check.

So in California, the front-plate rules are kinda funky. Enforcement of the front-plate rule depends on what county you're in and on the situation. If you're in San Francisco or San Mateo County, and you park somewhere, even legally, you'll be cited for the front-plate violation, if it's missing. In Alameda County, you can get away with no front-plate, as long as you don't get caught for a moving violation.

What's the general rule on Oahu? In these situations, what is the likelihood I incur a missing front plate fine, from your experience?
  • driving around nicely, cop sees me without a front plate - would he stop me to fine me?
  • parked somewhere legally, but no front plate?
  • illegally parked and no front plate?
  • get caught with a moving violation: additional charge for no front plate?
Mahalo!

You are going to jinx me by wanting me to share my secrets.
Bullet 1 generally ignore you if you are behaving
Bullet 2 generally/usually not pay you any attention unless there a call involving you.
Bullet 3 can't answer that one, no experience parking illegal
Bullet 4 no experience as I behave. People tell me usually a warning. (Carry your ready to stick on plate in the frunk, and blame it as missing on the kiddies when they washed the car.

Clear Plastic Plate
Black Plastic Plate
Suction Cups
Machine Screws
Machine Nuts

I usually have one of Min's plates and one of these suction plates in my frunk when someone asks about where/how.
On occasion we've seen (jealous) people complain in the newspaper about Tesla owners' car not having a front plate.
We've heard before that some places in CA will ticket parked cars without a plate.

Last edited:
You are going to jinx me by wanting me to share my secrets.
Bullet 1 generally ignore you if you are behaving
Bullet 2 generally/usually not pay you any attention unless there a call involving you.
Bullet 3 can't answer that one, no experience parking illegal
Bullet 4 no experience as I behave. People tell me usually a warning. (Carry your ready to stick on plate in the frunk, and blame it as missing on the kiddies when they washed the car.

Clear Plastic Plate
Black Plastic Plate
Suction Cups
Machine Screws
Machine Nuts

I usually have one of Min's plates and one of these suction plates in my frunk when someone asks about where/how.
On occasion we've seen (jealous) people complain in the newspaper about Tesla owners' car not having a front plate.
We've heard before that some places in CA will ticket parked cars without a plate.
Great, great tips. Mahalo!

Reactions: Akikiki