Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funds for Maryland Plug-In electric vehicles for fiscal year 2016 are depleted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
please feel free to contact the MVA’s Refund Department at 410-768- 7346
Thanks for the direct phone number. I called yesterday. The person handling payments said she had it in her pile of approved, so I made it, maybe the last few refunds issued by the sounds of it, but I cannot be certain of that. Tesla Tysons (close to my work) seemingly forgot to file for my tags after a delayed Aug 6th delivery. When I asked what to do about my expiring temp tags, they had MVA overnight them on Sept 1. I had my MVA refund form waiting for a title number and dropped it at the post office in Reston that morning. Assuming MVA received it Friday Sept 2 or Tuesday Sept 6th after Labor Day, then that might have been the official end of funds day. I just noticed Tesla configuration removed MD from the list, but LA and CO have 8K and 6K refunds for EVs, but their sales tax rates are higher as well.

• Informative
Reactions: decrypt
I really wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I just took delivery of my Model X yesterday, and when I placed my order back in June, I had factored in that $3,000 rebate. That money was going to be my first couple car payments. So that I wouldn't have a payment until 2017.

When MD ran out of money for the $1,000 rebates they also said that was it. Then MD came out with a $3,000 rebate, and that's it. Hopefully Governor Hogan signs another rebate law that covers those of us who got skipped. Especially with the Chevy Bolt coming out, and the Tesla Model 3, that's going to be a real turn off for some families. We don't want them to buy another gas car instead.

There is a bill being drafted to introduce in the 2017 Maryland General Assembly for another state tax rebate. It likely will not be applied retroactively and there is talk of capping eligibility for vehicles with a $60,000 MSRP. More than 20% of the rebate funds were going to Tesla purchasers. They are looking for ways to make the funds last longer.

• Informative
Reactions: loganss
Interesting development. I wonder if the lawmakers have thought about how you could buy a $57,000 Model 3 (with some options), but then turn things on after the fact to increase the price to over $60,000 (with more software activated options).

Interesting development. I wonder if the lawmakers have thought about how you could buy a $57,000 Model 3 (with some options), but then turn things on after the fact to increase the price to over $60,000 (with more software activated options).

They could word it so the cutoff is determined solely by the base model price....would probably be too difficult to put in conditional language for features that can be activated later.

That particular scenario was not discussed at the meeting I attended. But the drafters of the bill are working from the assumption that the budget for the Maryland EV excise tax rebate program will be the same as in previous years. They want to implement measures to avoid the funds running out early as has been happening in previous Fiscal Years.

They seem to have decided to make cars that cost over $60,000 ineligible for the rebate. This is clearly aimed at Tesla buyers who were getting more than 20% of the rebate money. "The Teslas were sucking up a large percentage of the funds" is how they said it. One member of the committee cited a study from California that he said reported that Tesla buyers are not moved by financial incentives hardly at all.

Another member expressed his opinion that the system should not "pick winners and losers" and they shouldn't penalize people for being able to afford a Mercedes or Tesla. He was in the minority. Alone, in fact.

It's really interesting. I'm forecasting my Model 3 to be between $50-60k nicely optioned, but not ludicrous, plaid or whatever they call it.

General Motors and the Maryland Automobile Dealers Association are members of the council that is drafting the recommendations for the Maryland EV tax rebate bill for the 2017 session. I didn't hear any objection from GM nor the Dealers Association regarding the $60,000 eligibility limit.

How much will a fully optioned Bolt be priced? A fully optioned Volt?

Isn't the rebate amount exactly the same for a Volt and a Tesla? If the goal is to make funds last longer, it seems the fairest and most straightforward way is to decrease the $ per kWh and the max rebate.

Info on the program that just ended: "The product of $125 times the kilowatt-hours of battery capacity of the vehicle not to exceed $3,000. Vehicles with 25 kilowatt-hours and above will only qualify for the maximum allowed of $3,000."

Source: Titling - Excise Tax Credit for Plug-in Electric Vehicles

There is a bill being drafted to introduce in the 2017 Maryland General Assembly for another state tax rebate. It likely will not be applied retroactively and there is talk of capping eligibility for vehicles with a $60,000 MSRP. More than 20% of the rebate funds were going to Tesla purchasers. They are looking for ways to make the funds last longer.
Do you know who is sponsoring the bill or drafting the bill? I missed the rebate by literally days. I would like to reach out to their office directly.

Wonder if this is the study that was interpreted by one of the Maryland Council members as suggesting that Tesla buyers are not moved by financial incentives.

Impact of Direct Financial Incentives in the Emerging Battery Electric Vehicle Market: A Preliminary Analysis
Page 20, Conclusions: "Evidence that Tesla buyers and buyers of non-Tesla BEVs respond differently to rebates"

http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy15osti/63263.pdf

In a sense they are discouraging long range EVs, and putting more focus on plug in hybrids or EVs with smaller batteries (if they want more people to take advantage of this).

Not discouraging Bolt sales with the MSRP cap, that's for sure! A fully loaded Bolt (like checking every single option, even extra charging cord, car cover, etc...) would still be easily under $50k...probably under $45k.

edit: I checked every single box for a Premier Bolt EV on the cars.com builder, and I got $44,950 as the MSRP.

Last edited:
Info on the program that just ended: "The product of $125 times the kilowatt-hours of battery capacity of the vehicle not to exceed $3,000. Vehicles with 25 kilowatt-hours and above will only qualify for the maximum allowed of $3,000."

Source: Titling - Excise Tax Credit for Plug-in Electric Vehicles

Precisely, the bill already disadvantaged over 25kw. If they worry about funds running out, they need to change approach. Neighbor States like NJ, and D.C. provide purchase time sales tax exemptions. The average leaf and volt buyer can't afford to wait months for a rebate check. They need the incentive immediately at the dealers table. A lot of people still live paycheck to paycheck. That's a better strategy to promote electric cars then just anti-Tesla legislation.

Reactions: EVTECH
Precisely, the bill already disadvantaged over 25kw. If they worry about funds running out, they need to change approach. Neighbor States like NJ, and D.C. provide purchase time sales tax exemptions. The average leaf and volt buyer can't afford to wait months for a rebate check. They need the incentive immediately at the dealers table. A lot of people still live paycheck to paycheck. That's a better strategy to promote electric cars then just anti-Tesla legislation.

The original MD plug-in excise tax credit used to be applicable at point of sale, with up to $2k in taxes being exempted. I received it upon signing the papers on my '12 Volt 4 years ago. No need to file after the fact and wait for a check.

I plan to attend the Maryland Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Council (EVIC) meeting at 2:00 PM on November 17th at the Maryland Dept. of Transportation Headquarters near BWI. This is where EV related bills that are being considered for the 2017 General Assembly session are discussed.

Meetings are open to the public and there is a slot on the agenda for public comments. Often, I’m the only “public” in attendance and I usually speak to the members of the Council, from an EV driver’s perspective, about pending legislation. The EVIC includes one state Senator and two Delegates and I have worked with them and testified in the past on the Tesla direct sales bill, EV charging at Multi-Unit Housing and anti-ICEing legislation. I expect the EV/EVSE rebates & tax credits will be discussed at the EVIC meeting next week.

The EV Tax bill probably won’t be filed until January or February. Then you can testify in person or by letter to the legislative committee that the bill is assigned to.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: loganss