Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Rear-Window Shade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a shade that covers half the rear window right now, but I'm not finding any shade to cover the lower half as a 2nd piece or as a single piece (covering the entire window).

When I first received our M3H, I was amazed the rear glass was 1-piece. Factory tint only covers half of it. I did get it re-tinted, for the full window, but I'm looking for something to keep more heat out.

I don't need a view out the back at all since I have a digital rear-view mirror, so I could do the Polestar 4 type setup (it has no rear window at all).

Even the camping shades I've found ignore the rear window.

Does such a shade exist or will I need to make one?

Thank you,

Thank you for the suggestions.

The 1st one says:

NOTE: COMPATIBLE WITH MODEL 3 VEHICLES PRODUCED IN 2017-2020.

But it's what I'm looking for at least as respects the rear, except I want something to block more light/heat.

The 2nd one says '21+ but I already have a shade like that.

As noted above, I don't look thru the rear glass for the rear view. So, any shade there can be solid.

I don't need a view out the back at all since I have a digital rear-view mirror,
so I could do the Polestar 4 type setup (it has no rear window at all).

What kind of rear-view mirror do you have?

Where did you installed the camera:
- outside above the license plate or
- inside behind the rear window?

How is the rear view when it is rainning or at night?

Thank you for the suggestions.

The 1st one says:

NOTE: COMPATIBLE WITH MODEL 3 VEHICLES PRODUCED IN 2017-2020.

But it's what I'm looking for at least as respects the rear, except I want something to block more light/heat.

The 2nd one says '21+ but I already have a shade like that.

As noted above, I don't look thru the rear glass for the rear view. So, any shade there can be solid.
The OEM Tesla rear shade covers the entire rear window unlike the half amazon ones. Their photos don't really show it off that well...but it's exactly what you're looking for. I don't believe anyone makes a solid rear window shade...for obvious reasons (despite you having a camera based rear mirror)

Reactions: Falcon73
@Falcon73 I just remember that when I got my Model 3, I ordered in January 2019 the Tesla "Model 3 Glass roof Sunshade"
and this one covers the whole roof all the way to the speaker shelf, but I didn't like it because at night I could not use my
rear view mirror, so I ordered then a smaller one from Amazon. I did some researches and found it still in its original box.

I just checked the size, and the full length is 50", the width at the top is 42" and near the speaker shelf the width is 33"
I don't know if this shade could fit your Model 3, I don't know if there was any noticeable change made since.
PM me if you are interested, I am in SF. Otherwise I will try to sell it on this forum or on eBay. I bought if for $100 at the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
What kind of rear-view mirror do you have?

Where did you installed the camera:
- outside above the license plate or
- inside behind the rear window?

How is the rear view when it is rainning or at night?
It's a Wolfbox G840s.

I tried mounting it inside the rear window but there were too many reflections. I have the license plate mount now but I still need to figure out how to run the wires through the tubing cuz right now it just goes under the trunk opening.

I still need to try it at night but it was raining today and it got a little foggy on me, but it was still usable.

I use the Top Window cover in the following link from Heatshield. Covers most of the roof and I can still see out of the back.