Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front USB Ports >2 Amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to test out my front 2 ports since I ordered the jeda pad and wanted to see if I needed to route power from the 12V plug. I have a power bank that can pull 5V/3A to really get the upper limits of what the USB ports will put out. To my surprise, I was able to get over 2 amps. The peak was about 2.5 amps with the mean around 2.1 amps. I'm on FW 2018.14.13.

IMG_4250.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG
IMG_1854.JPG
IMG_1855.JPG
IMG_1856.JPG
IMG_1857.JPG
I don't know how he gets this reading as I have a 3 VIN 179xx and software 2018.14.13 and I cannot duplicate his readings.

Initial tests shown using each port are with a purely resistive load. Then increasing the load to up the current and watching the voltage drop followed by being plugged into an iPhone X.

the problem with this video is that it was done in Jan 2018 before the latest firmware. I read somewhere that as part of the recent update, the front usb amps got pushed to 2+ amps--so wanting anybody else with 2018.14.13 to confirm either 1 amps or 2 amps. Both posters above got different answers.

the problem with this video is that it was done in Jan 2018 before the latest firmware. I read somewhere that as part of the recent update, the front usb amps got pushed to 2+ amps--so wanting anybody else with 2018.14.13 to confirm either 1 amps or 2 amps. Both posters above got different answers.
Oh i missed that part. Sounds like its time for a retest.

• Informative
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
Well, today I learned that my prior readings were incorrect due to the fact that there is an apparent cable sensitivity in that some cables are apparently in capable of providing full power and are dropping the power across them. In my prior photos I used a short blue USB male to female cable to extend the meter out of the cubby to make it easier to see. Today I plugged the meter directly into the ports with both an iPad mini and resistive load. I was able to get 2A easily out of all 4 ports with the resistive load and over 1.3A with the iPad that was at 86% charged.

See my crappy unedited videos:

• Informative
Reactions: geoffreak
Well, today I learned that my prior readings were incorrect due to the fact that there is an apparent cable sensitivity in that some cables are apparently in capable of providing full power and are dropping the power across them. In my prior photos I used a short blue USB male to female cable to extend the meter out of the cubby to make it easier to see. Today I plugged the meter directly into the ports with both an iPad mini and resistive load. I was able to get 2A easily out of all 4 ports with the resistive load and over 1.3A with the iPad that was at 86% charged.

See my crappy unedited videos:
So just to be clear, you're able to achieve 2amps in the front usb ports, which would equate to getting 10 watts (5V x 2.0amps) correct? If that is the case, that would suggest that we would be able to do fast charging for the iPhone which maxes out at 7.5w. Not enough for samsung fast charge which requires 15w, but enough for iPhones--this would mean we would not need the fast charging module.

Does anyone know if this is per port? Or if it's 2a total for both ports? I was thinking about swapping my pi zero for a pi 4, but the pi 4 specs say that it can draw up to 3a so I'm wondering if it's possible to combine power from the two ports to get enough amps or if I'd have to run something from the 12v outlet.