Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front seats retaining bolts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While searching for posts related to removing front seats I came across an error which can prove costly and a Tesla change which makes the job easier. I wanted to free the front drivers seat , lean it back while still in the car so I could add some stiffeners in the seat springs in hopes of removing pain in my left leg due to the seat bolster.
Previous post have said to use a Torx T45 socket, this is incorrect and would possibly strip the bolt head. Tesla's bolts require a Torx Plus T45 which have rounded points to match the tesla bolt.
Also previous posts have indicated that torch heat is necessary to loosen the red loctite used by Tesla on the bolt threads during assembly. This almost dissuaded me from attempting this but I gave it a try.
My car is a 2023 Model 3 Performance built in February 2023. My hope was to free the seat, lean it back while still in the car and stiffen up the supporting springs.
I was pleasantly surprised when the bolts came out easily with just a 1/2 in ratchet. When removed i was glad to see that there was only a small amount of blue loctite on any of them
IMG_2458.jpeg
For your reference the bolts need a Torx Plus T45 socket (not a standard Torx T45) and torqued back down to 33.5 ft/lbs.

Reactions: Birdsfan