Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freshly tinted Black Obsidian 85D - Pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 1,200 miles on my new 85D that I've had for 2 weeks and just got the tint installed!

Ceramic Tint
75% - Front Windshield
35% - Front Side Windows
15% - Rear Side Windows
15% - Rear Hatch Window

Crappy iPhone pics, but good enough until I can get my DSLR out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443149847.499472.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443149859.267571.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443149867.730875.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443149877.885679.jpg

We can't do this in CA, tecnically. Cops are all over it in my area. But I am curious as to your thoughts on the windscreen tint. I would love to do that. I assume it is an interior tint. How are the optics? Any loss of clarity during day or night? is the rear hatch still easy to see out? How is cleaning it? What product did you use, 3M? Have you lost any signal strength with connectivity, radio reception? Tesla warned of that. But I think it might have might have been corporate bunk.

Please excuse the barrage of questions.

I love the look!

I really want to cool my car down as much as possible. I got the Tesla sunscreen for the pano and rear and they have helped quite a bit. But the windscreen is the big solar gain area.

Thanks!

We can't do this in CA, tecnically. Cops are all over it in my area. But I am curious as to your thoughts on the windscreen tint. I would love to do that. I assume it is an interior tint. How are the optics? Any loss of clarity during day or night? is the rear hatch still easy to see out? How is cleaning it? What product did you use, 3M? Have you lost any signal strength with connectivity, radio reception? Tesla warned of that. But I think it might have might have been corporate bunk.

I love the look!

I really want to cool my car down as much as possible. I got the Tesla sunscreen for the pano and rear and they have helped quite a bit. But the windscreen is the big solar gain area.

Thanks!

Yes, the windshield is interior...no different than the rest of the tint, except that it's 75% so you can barely tell it's tinted. It does cut down on the glare, and massively rejects heat thanks to the ceramic tint. I don't notice any reduction in visibility through the windshield.

The rear hatch is definitely darker, but perfectly fine to see out through the rear view mirror or as a passenger in the kid seats.

The tint used was Proview ceramic. See pic below.

I haven't noticed any degradation with the radio/wireless/etc.

Capture.JPG

Tints cool the car down a LOT. The Model S is untenable without window tinting.

Visibility is reduced so it takes a little getting used to. My advice is to put a little piece of tape on the left side of the rear view mirror to disable the electrochromatic darkening and then visibility is like normal.

I love the look!

Thanks!

Yes, the windshield is interior...no different than the rest of the tint, except that it's 75% so you can barely tell it's tinted. It does cut down on the glare, and massively rejects heat thanks to the ceramic tint. I don't notice any reduction in visibility through the windshield.

The rear hatch is definitely darker, but perfectly fine to see out through the rear view mirror or as a passenger in the kid seats.

The tint used was Proview ceramic. See pic below.

I haven't noticed any degradation with the radio/wireless/etc.

View attachment 95473

Thanks. I have been using the sun shades in the pano and rear and one of those exceptionally annoying stiff and unmanageable sunscreens in the front. A total PIA to install and store. I think I'll go for the tint. I actually kind of like having the pano shades in when it is open. Not really sure why. Novelty, I am sure. Though I have tried to wave to a few neighbors and end up almost popping the thing right out.