Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Volta charging at Kroger Powder Springs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pleasantly surprised to find this L2 charger outside Kroger - 4400 Brownsville Rd. Powder Springs. Convenient parking right up front and extra wide parking spot. Nice large electronic billboard draws your attention to the charger. Charging handle and cable in good condition. I attached my J1772 adapter and plugged in to get 10kW charging while I make a quick stop. Prime parking and free charging. Yay!

Attachments

• 2F81B670-E62C-4FC0-AB93-28792FEA9CB1.jpeg
    2F81B670-E62C-4FC0-AB93-28792FEA9CB1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 165
  • FDF1C0D7-9B7B-4D42-BA5C-BC15A6605164.jpeg
    FDF1C0D7-9B7B-4D42-BA5C-BC15A6605164.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • 9DE40F6D-87D8-42D4-BD43-34F6816087F4.jpeg
    9DE40F6D-87D8-42D4-BD43-34F6816087F4.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 75
  • 3E2842B3-F2E9-4CB6-B8B6-7273578C5DB7.jpeg
    3E2842B3-F2E9-4CB6-B8B6-7273578C5DB7.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 73
  • 72BD097A-38E8-4D3D-A95D-FB00E1499A24.jpeg
    72BD097A-38E8-4D3D-A95D-FB00E1499A24.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • 9AAF45B0-0B52-4700-AB3C-25654DEB2170.jpeg
    9AAF45B0-0B52-4700-AB3C-25654DEB2170.jpeg
    966.5 KB · Views: 92
Pleasantly surprised to find this L2 charger outside Kroger - 4400 Brownsville Rd. Powder Springs. Convenient parking right up front and extra wide parking spot. Nice large electronic billboard draws your attention to the charger. Charging handle and cable in good condition. I attached my J1772 adapter and plugged in to get 10kW charging while I make a quick stop. Prime parking and free charging. Yay!
The only thing better than free charging is front row free charging.

We had several Volta chargers in Washington state and used them every chance we got. Even if only for 30 minutes or so - free juice is free juice. @ElectricIAC, you're right about the extra advantage of front-row parking. Sadly, I moved to Colorado several months ago and we only have a few free chargers near us in Durango.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
The only thing better than free charging is front row free charging.

Yes, it just happen to "get lucky" to find it free (available).
Note: I interpreted your "front row" charging as "to be the first one" to use it. LoL !!!

In my area, in California, the chargers are limited to 6 kW,
May be they are older devices limited to 30 Amp using the 208 V from public lighting lamppost.

Some are now DCFC at 48 kW but are limited to 30 minutes.
However, the one I used had a very short and not flexible CCS hose cable.
The charger was on the right side, in a 45 degree parking at a corner of a row.
It was weird to have to enter in reverse, especially on a busy Saturday !!!
You need to manoeuver several time to be able to face correctly the entrance of the parking spot.
A K-turn is a piece of cake compare to it !!

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yeah was surprised that Plugshare found one of these free Volta DC fast chargers in a North NJ shopping center where I was staying during Christmas weekend. Can't remember the exact location, but if you use either the Volta app or Plugshare should be very easy to find. Believe it was limited to 50kW, but more importantly free for the first 30mins. If you continued charging past the free 30min.. you were then charged a reasonable 30 cents or so per kWh. So not a bad way to fill the battery when you are already traveling away from home and need to find a charger anyways. I have a 2021 standard range Model Y with the smaller 50kWh battery pack.. so for a max cost of $7.50 I could completely charge my battery while busy shopping.

Which is exactly what made it so helpful. I live about 200 miles from this specific location and my battery was already drained from traveling. Rather than go sit at a random Supercharger late a night.. I went to the bank and grocery store to grab some things I needed for the next day. By the time I got back to car my battery was filled.. and for less than it would cost at any SC.

Its crazy just how useful the CCS1 Tesla adapter has been. I've easily used enough free charging last year alone (mostly EA) to already pay for the adapter. Its also another reason I find it ridiculous so many Tesla owners will spend thousands to wrap their car in plastic or add a bunch of cosmetic accessories.. but refuse to spend an extra couple hundred or so for things like the CCS1 adapter for road trips.. or the wall charger wired to a 60A breaker at home.. which will forever make charging their EV faster, easier & more convenient.

Attachments

• 755DC632-4AC2-4C56-B1B4-A239E7F1DEC8.jpeg
    755DC632-4AC2-4C56-B1B4-A239E7F1DEC8.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Reactions: cdub
Yeah was surprised that Plugshare found one of these free Volta DC fast chargers in North NJ shopping center where I was staying during Christmas weekend. Can't remember the exact location, but if you use either the Volta app or Plugshare should be very easy to find. Believe it was limited to 50kW, but more importantly free for the first 30mins. If you continued charging past the free 30min.. you were then charged a reasonable 30 cents or so per kWh. So not a bad way to fill the battery when you are already traveling away from home and need to find a charger anyways. I have a 2021 standard range Model Y with the smaller 50kWh battery pack.. so for a max cost of $7.50 I could completely my battery while busy shopping.

Which is exactly what made it so helpful. I live about 200 miles from this specific location and my battery was already drained from traveling. Rather than go sit at a random Supercharger late a night.. I went to the bank and grocery store to grab some things I needed for the next day. By the time I got back to car my battery was filled.. and for less than it would cost at any SC.

Its crazy just how useful the CCS1 Tesla adapter has been. I've easily used enough free charging last year alone (mostly EA) to already pay for the adapter. Its also another reason I find it ridiculous so many Tesla owners will spend thousands to wrap their car in plastic or add a bunch of cosmetic accessories.. but refuse to spend extra for things like the CCS1 adapter for road trips.. or the wall charger wired to a 60A breaker at home. Its an EV.. the absolutely best accessory you can pair with it is something that helps make charging the car quicker, easier, and more convenient.
You mean you didn’t just go unplug after 30 and start a new session? 🤣

The Christiana Mall in Delaware has a number of Volta chargers that were added during the last year. Definitely convenient when shopping. There is signage signaling a two-hour parking limit at the L2 stalls and a 30 minute limit at the DCFC stalls but I don't think this is being enforced.

On a recent trip to the mall, I found every single charger in use with a wide variety of EVs (it wasn't like that a few months ago). This to me is good as it shows EV adoption is growing.

Reactions: Daekwan
There were a few Volta L3 and L2 charging stations at the mall close to us. We tried one of the L3 charging stations and tested out our CCS adapter. It worked great and was free for 30 minutes. We tried again a couple of weeks later only to find they no longer offer free charging. They sent us an email explaining that they had to start charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Daekwan
I went to one here in Lorton VA, volta app force me to add my credit card to the profile to offer free fast DC charging even for free 30 min.
But I didn't know I need a CCS adaptor, so I couldn't use that.
Thanks for the heads up.. I travel past Lorton VA often.

I probably use the Supercharger in Stafford VA 1-2x a month!! Will definitely take the free 30mins if possible.