Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

firearm storage pictures only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are comparing a fire extinguisher to a gun?

Sure.

The odds of needing either is low. And it'd only be in an emergency.

And I hope I never, ever, need either one- but I'll be really glad to have it if I ever do actually need it.

(arguably the fire extinguisher is the inferior investment- since it won't hold its resale value nearly as well as the gun too :))

at the end of the day I refuse to be a victim, you play the odds card that it wont happen to you

No one wants to be a victim, and everyone is playing the odds card.

Carrying a frearm doesn't guarantee that you won't be a victim. Perhaps it reduces your chances in certain circumstances, but so do cameras, pepper spray, situational awareness, locked doors, etc. All of those items reduce your chances, but none of them will eliminate the risk completely.

Everyone has to judge for themselves how they will reduce their chances of becoming a victim, and I fail to see how you hold such contempt for those who don't choose your method. That's a very narrowminded view.

One of my hardest-learned and most pointed life lessons was "It is possible to make no mistakes, and still lose."

There is no contempt in my statement. I didn't tell him he was wrong and needed to change and adopt my thinking. I didn't berate his victim mentality. I said that he plays the odds card that it wont happen. No need to put words in my mouth.

I really mean this lightly. I deal with people every single day that "never thought it would happen to them." If you took any of this offensively than you need to reconsider why. Denial is a powerful tool. Read DeBecker's book called "The Gift of Fear," its pretty good.

Liberals love to play the "what if" games ad nauseum, at the end of the day I refuse to be a victim, you play the odds card that it wont happen to you. Thats where it all distills down to. Im not a big fan of chance if I can alter the outcome.

All of your above scenarios that attempt to elicit a heartfelt response are meant to distract from the fact the perpetrator CHOSE to put himself in that situation. HE chose to use a gun, HE chose to conduct an armed robbery. HE realizes that he may get killed in the commission of the crime. When you make the perpetrator seem the victim you only fuel the crime stats.

Respectfully said.
And I don’t think you’d be wrong for pulling the trigger. Never suggested that. I gave examples of better ways to deal with the situation that don’t end up in loss of life. It’s not about right or wrong, I’m just not interested in murdering anyone and I’m certainly not looking for an opportunity.

Anyway, I’ll see myself out now.

Reactions: NOLADriver
It's funny how little rational middle ground y'all leave us. In the US, it's pretty normal to own a gun. I find myself viewed as a crazy cowboy by the Left, and as a masochist Liberal by the Right. Equally bonkers.

The OP's storage in the Tesla console looks good. Not essential in my life at the moment, but hardly an issue.

But all the (normal law-abiding) people I know feel more threatened by the police than by anyone else.

IMHO civilians who think in terms of primary vs. secondary handguns, and carry with a round in the chamber and the hammer back, worry me because they are either living in the wrong place, or in a perpetual state of paranoia, meaning anything could happen - to me.

Last edited:
There is no contempt in my statement. I didn't tell him he was wrong and needed to change and adopt my thinking. I didn't berate his victim mentality. I said that he plays the odds card that it wont happen. No need to put words in my mouth.

I really mean this lightly. I deal with people every single day that "never thought it would happen to them." If you took any of this offensively than you need to reconsider why. Denial is a powerful tool. Read DeBecker's book called "The Gift of Fear," its pretty good.

Great book. Read it in college.

Reactions: NOLADriver
IMHO civilians who think in terms of primary vs. secondary handguns, and carry with a round in the chamber and the hammer back, worry me because they are either living in the wrong place, or in a perpetual state of paranoia, meaning anything could happen - to me.

Senator Dianne Feinstein used to carry a loaded pistol in her purse before she became rich enough for armed bodyguards. She is one of the most vocal anti-gun critics in the US. She made various claims why she needed it when the press found out, but the reality was she liked having that option. “I thought if they were going to take me out, I wanted to take a few of them with me,” she (Feinstein) told the audience with a laugh

There was another vocal anti-gun politician, Carl Rowan who shot a naked teen for swimming in his pool:
"Rowan was charged for firing a gun that he did not legally own. Rowan was arrested and tried. During the trial, he argued that he had the right to use whatever means necessary to protect himself and his family. He also said the pistol he used was exempt from the District's handgun prohibition law because it belonged to his older son, a former FBI agent. He was called out for hypocrisy, since Rowan was a strict gun control advocate. In a 1981 column, he advocated "a law that says anyone found in possession of a handgun except a legitimate officer of the law goes to jail—period." In 1985, he called for "A complete and universal federal ban on the sale, manufacture, importation and possession of handguns (except for authorized police and military personnel).

Rowan was tried but the jury was deadlocked; the judge declared a mistrial and he was never retried. In his autobiography, Rowan said he still favors gun control, but admits being vulnerable to a charge of hypocrisy.

Seems you have more to fear from the anti-gun nuts than the gun nuts?

In any case, if you are going to have a pistol for emergency purposes, you need to store it correctly. If you want to shoot SF hippies while laughing or naked Chevy Chase teenagers in your pool, you have plenty of time to chamber or load your gun.

It's funny how little rational middle ground y'all leave us. In the US, it's pretty normal to own a gun. I find myself viewed as a crazy cowboy by the Left, and as a masochist Liberal by the Right. Equally bonkers.

I am very familiar with getting that reaction :)

I'd agree with having a backup carry gun with you...for a normal person that'd just hella paranoid.

But not having a round chambered just makes 0 sense.

If you store and use the gun property it's objectively a superior way to keep the gun. 100% upside, 0% downside.

If you can't store and use it correctly to the point you're a danger to yourself carrying chambered, you shouldn't carry at all until you've had more practice.

I don't see what pro and anti gun celebrities have to do with anything. That's some different chapter somewhere.

Re: the magnetic holder, that's a fine piece of craftsmanship for relaxed times. But when you're in constant danger of being lightning-fast pounced upon, it gets a C-, because then the weapon should be, at all times, firmly grasped in your slightly extended hand, racked & chambered, safety off, crouching position, eyes in fast scan mode. And only move like that. Anything less is inviting being a victim. Of course, if that's your kind of circumstances, real or imagined, I'd really rather make the choice of not being in your neighborhood, at all.
;-)

• Funny
Reactions: RobRain
You are comparing a fire extinguisher to a gun?

Here's my philosophy on things like guns and fire extinguishers.

Both are a way to mitigate a risk, in the case of a fire extinguisher, or smoke detector, we realize that while the risk of our house burning down is small, the consequences of such are huge. Obviously things like fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, seat belts cost money, time and inconvenience. But the cost is respectively very low compared to the consequence of not having them. In my opinion you'd be crazy to sleep in a house without smoke detectors, you'd be nuts to not keep a fire extinguisher near your garage and kitchen, and not wearing a seat belt is inexcusable. The risk so profoundly outweighs any negatives that these things are common place, lots of people feel the same way I do.

Guns for a lot of people are exactly the same. Some people see guns as a way that they can potentially mitigate risks to their well being. The rationale is no different than someone putting on a seat belt, or keeping a fire extinguisher near their stove. The likelihood of ever needing either one of those tools is probably extremely slim, but the consequences of NOT having them could be unacceptable.

On the inverse, a smoke detector costs almost nothing, and aside from the installation and maintenance time and cost there's almost no downsides. Guns cost more, in some cases a lot more, and carry a lot more responsibilities for their owners. Some people find the downsides outweigh the possible benefits, some think it's no different than putting on a seat belt. Neither one of those people is wrong.

We all do thousands of risk/reward calculations every day. Some people don't value smoke detectors. Some people don't value guns.
Trying to convince someone that their calculation is wrong is probably going to be futile, I've been trying to get my dad to wear a seat belt for 30+ years. He's spent almost 70 years not wearing them, to him they have no value and only bring downsides, to me they have no downsides and only mitigate risk.

If you don't like the idea of people carrying firearms in their Teslas that's your prerogative. You can not partake in the activity, live in a place it's not allowed, you can vote in politicians that align with your thoughts and you can push for laws to make the practice illegal. What you cannot do is understand fully why someone's risk/reward calculation came up differently than your own.

Kill a guy for your wallet and a bottle of whiskey would be exciting?

Ok....you guys are right….. this discussion isn't for me.

I would just depend on my Model 3's camera's to have the police catch them later if they can.

Just as you don't HAVE to stomp the go pedal on your 3 at every light, you don't HAVE to use deadly force. Honestly, it's frowned upon in many locales. Why take a headshot when a kneecap will get across the message?

Since we aren't getting any pictures of a gun holder...I'll ask again.

No one is answering.

Where are you guys getting held up? From this discussion it sounds like it potentially happens a lot.

I was almost the victim of armed robbery nearly 20 years ago. Some teenager with a large knife wanted my wallet in a 7-11 parking lot. A quick flip up of my shirt to reveal my (properly licensed) concealed handgun, and that was the end of our interaction. A vast VAST majority of Americans who have a weapon that they carry will only ever use it at the range. In plenty of cases, the mere sight of it is deterrent enough.

Just as you don't HAVE to stomp the go pedal on your 3 at every light, you don't HAVE to use deadly force. Honestly, it's frowned upon in many locales. Why take a headshot when a kneecap will get across the message?
If I shoot, I'm going to shoot to kill. Center mass.

Part of being a responsible gun owner is knowing/understanding if/when deadly force can be used though.

I am a CCW holder and carry everywhere that's legally allowed to. In Missouri you don't need a license to conceal carry, but it's a lot smarter to take the course and hold the card.