Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Same result after that - Plug in, charging starts, I get a notification of the schedule (but not in the app itself), charging stops and it looks like it's now waiting for the scheduled time but then after several minutes, charging starts again and will just carry on to the set limit if I left it.
Bold bit: this is odd. If you do a pull-down refresh in the Octopus app you should see the schedule from the notification.

It is worth mentioning that when you onboard for the first time and get a schedule, it will charge immediately to the % you set. This isn't necessarily an error, but to be sure you'll need to see the schedule in the app, which you've confirmed isn't there.

Bold bit: this is odd. If you do a pull-down refresh in the Octopus app you should see the schedule from the notification.

It is worth mentioning that when you onboard for the first time and get a schedule, it will charge immediately to the % you set. This isn't necessarily an error, but to be sure you'll need to see the schedule in the app, which you've confirmed isn't there.
No doesn't appear if I refresh or re-start the app. I have seen the schedule in the app with some of the test charges I've tried, but the charge will still begin regardless and carry on up to the limit. This has happened each time I've tried on 6 or 7 tests. It's never worked as it should. The app has always displayed total charge amount as 0.00kWh so it doesn't recognise the car is charging.

IO is talking to the car because it knows when I set the vehicle charge limit lower than the one in the app and responds almost immediately when I change it.

Last edited:
Maybe just me, but on my phone (Android) the 'pull down' never shows me an updated schedule - I have to close the app (like ,swipe it away) and re-open, then I see a revised schedule. Mind you, the Octopus app on Android seems a little flakey, constantly asking me to re-enter username and password even when 'use fingerprint' is set.

Hi everyone, new to the thread - really useful info for a new IO user here so thanks for the input so far.

For context I have a 2023 Model 3 (RWD) and an Ohme Home Pro. I switched to IO yesterday and, after some initial bugs with the Octopus app, everything seems to be going fine… car started charging at around midnight after a couple of random 15 minute charges between 1830ish and 2030ish. The Tesla app/car has no charging schedule configured, the Ohme app has a single schedule configured (charge to 100% every day by 0800) and no price cap, and the Octopus app is doing everything else.

I have a couple of questions:

1/ I know it misses some of the objectives of IO, but to avoid mini-charges in favour of a single session, would switching off Smart Charging via the octopus app in favour of a scheduled charge (from say 23:30 to 05:30) via the Tesla app still gain favourable off-peak rates? Asking hypothetically.

2/ The Ohme app isn’t showing any new charge sessions, anyone have any idea why? It shows the test charges. Not sure if it makes a difference but I had to manually input my tariff as IO.

3/ Last one; when onboarding to IO I selected the car as the ‘Device’ as opposed to the Ohme charger. Is there any practical difference in selecting the car or EVSE as the ‘device’?

Thanks again

Hi everyone, new to the thread - really useful info for a new IO user here so thanks for the input so far.

For context I have a 2023 Model 3 (RWD) and an Ohme Home Pro. I switched to IO yesterday and, after some initial bugs with the Octopus app, everything seems to be going fine… car started charging at around midnight after a couple of random 15 minute charges between 1830ish and 2030ish. The Tesla app/car has no charging schedule configured, the Ohme app has a single schedule configured (charge to 100% every day by 0800) and no price cap, and the Octopus app is doing everything else.

1/ I know it misses some of the objectives of IO, but to avoid mini-charges in favour of a single session, would switching off Smart Charging via the octopus app in favour of a scheduled charge (from say 23:30 to 05:30) via the Tesla app still gain favourable off-peak rates? Asking hypothetically.

2/ The Ohme app isn’t showing any new charge sessions, anyone have any idea why? It shows the test charges. Not sure if it makes a difference but I had to manually input my tariff as IO.

3/ Last one; when onboarding to IO I selected the car as the ‘Device’ as opposed to the Ohme charger. Is there any practical difference in selecting the car or EVSE as the ‘device’?

Thanks again
Hi,

1) - Yes, within the core 6 hours

2) - I don’t have that charger so I don’t know

3) - If you select Octopus to control the car, then it will only smart charge that car. If you select the charger as the device you can smart charge more than one car with that charger.

Thanks again
Hi as you have an Ohme, I would suggest you use their native integration with IO rather than the Tesla API. There are a couple of worthwhile advantages. There is a useful Facebook group that will help you get set up with Ohme integration Ohme EVSE Integration with Intelligent Octopus Tariff Group | Facebook

Carried out another test last night.
Tesla app set to 100%
Octopus app set to 90%
Octopus scheduled the charge to start at 00:00, but as usual it just started as soon as I plugged in so I set scheduled charging in the Tesla app to start at 23:30.
At 23:30 charging started and it carried on until it got to the 90% limit set in Octopus.
This time, I got a number in the Octopus 12 hour charging history (35.25kWh) so it was monitoring the charge.
I have no charging history in the Tesla app wall connector page for last night's charge though. Is that normal when using IO?

Hi as you have an Ohme, I would suggest you use their native integration with IO rather than the Tesla API. There are a couple of worthwhile advantages. There is a useful Facebook group that will help you get set up with Ohme integration Ohme EVSE Integration with Intelligent Octopus Tariff Group | Facebook
I don’t have Facebook, but you are saying it is better to connect to the Ohme charger and not Tesla?
What are the advantages? I am wondering what I should do…

I don’t have Facebook, but you are saying it is better to connect to the Ohme charger and not Tesla?
What are the advantages? I am wondering what I should do…

Main ones are:

1) Schedules are more reliable - you won't have to have to rely on the the Tesla API which sometimes leads to schedules being slow to generate and slow to switch off charging automatically when you first plug in.

2) You can charge any EV with the Ohme. So if you're a two or more EV household a separate Ohme schedule can be used for each

The main advice for config seems to be: (pulled from another forum)
turn off price cap, save money, favour green energy and battery optimization. Have only 1 schedule active when you plug in (not convinced this is necessary now TBH). Don’t whatever you do change the tariff in the Ohme app even if the Intelligent rates it has pre populated are wrong - raise a ticket with Ohme saying they are the wrong rates. They plan to do a btach correction of rates at some point as it will always load the current rate on the day you did the onboarding with Ohme. So if you were on the tariff already they will be wrong …

And ignore the cost on the Ohme dashboard page - it is wrong. The charge stats will show the correct costs after you unplug though.

Makes sense. Thank you!
Forgot to mention the downside - You don't see a schedule in the Octopus app like you get with Tesla integration. Currently it's a case of reading a very poorly formatted graph in the Ohme app to work out when it's charging. That said, the feedback I've seen people give is that all the billing for extra slot off-peak is all spot on and charging is reliable.

I have no charging history in the Tesla app wall connector page for last night's charge though. Is that normal when using IO?

My Gen3 wall connector got disconnected from WiFi since our solar panel/ battery install last month and I haven’t bothered to re-connect it. Quite honestly I don’t see that it provided any extra useful information that wasn’t already in the car charging history page. Or am I missing something?
You can see the usage there right?

This is general, but more so if you have solar and batteries (not sure if you do)….

Have you tried setting the cars off-peak end time to 05:30 in the Tesla app and in the Octopus app, instead of start time to 23:30?
This way around the car won’t start charging straight away when you plug in either and you’ll potentially benefit from any earlier evening slots if awarded (if it’s a large car charge) wheb you’re probably using more house electricity than maybe extra slots at 05:30-06:30+ when you probably are asleep still and aren’t using as much.
Especially if you have solar/ batteries, as it’s not long after till sun up time. In this case you can set a lower solar battery reserve, you won’t run the risk of the batteries discharging into the car too early at say 2100 and leaving a period of empty batteries and a gap of having to use peak until 23:30. Also, if this applies to you, there is also the option to add to the solar batteries in an extra early evening slot, when you get the notification from Tesla that the car is staring to charge (enable this in app for a heads-up ~ potential for home battery forced charge due to extra slots if they are low/empty)
I assume this would be more beneficial in the winter especially if you have solar and battery storage. Even if you don’t the extra slots in the evening (if any) could potentially save you more than very early morning ones. 👍🏻

It’s a toss-up really. One way may be better that the other depending on your circumstances. Thought it worth mentioning though

My Gen3 wall connector got disconnected from WiFi since our solar panel/ battery install last month and I haven’t bothered to re-connect it. Quite honestly I don’t see that it provided any extra useful information that wasn’t already in the car charging history page. Or am I missing something?
You can see the usage there right?

This is general, but more so if you have solar and batteries (not sure if you do)….

Have you tried setting the cars off-peak end time to 05:30 in the Tesla app and in the Octopus app, instead of start time to 23:30?
This way around the car won’t start charging straight away when you plug in either and you’ll potentially benefit from any earlier evening slots if awarded (if it’s a large car charge) wheb you’re probably using more house electricity than maybe extra slots at 05:30-06:30+ when you probably are asleep still and aren’t using as much.
Especially if you have solar/ batteries, as it’s not long after till sun up time. In this case you can set a lower solar battery reserve, you won’t run the risk of the batteries discharging into the car too early at say 2100 and leaving a period of empty batteries and a gap of having to use peak until 23:30. Also, if this applies to you, there is also the option to add to the solar batteries in an extra early evening slot, when you get the notification from Tesla that the car is staring to charge (enable this in app for a heads-up ~ potential for home battery forced charge due to extra slots if they are low/empty)
I assume this would be more beneficial in the winter especially if you have solar and battery storage. Even if you don’t the extra slots in the evening (if any) could potentially save you more than very early morning ones. 👍🏻

It’s a toss-up really. One way may be better that the other depending on your circumstances. Thought it worth mentioning though
I've looked again and the charging history has updated and it's there now. Not sure why there was a delay in it appearing.
Don't have solar/batteries but that approach makes sense, so I'll give it a go.

Seeing the “calibrating” message during charging at 100% I was wondering if that still happens with IO!?

I have IO connected to my Ohme home pro and that is connected to the Tesla API.
Car and schedule set to 100%

Will the car be allowed to calibrate the battery at 100% or would either Ohme or IO deactivate the charge!?

This might be important for all the LFP batteries?

I've just made the switch to IO from Go, as my fixed term on Go expires next month. Seems IO off-peak rate in my area is equal to my current Go rate (7.5p) but cheaper than the new Go rate (9.5p) so thought I'd may as well make the switch now.

Test charge done and everything seems to be set for tonight. A little apprehensive to see how tonight's charging pans out...I've been dipping in and out of this thread for the last 12months or so and have seen some of the issues some folks have had. Also, I've had 9 months of scheduling charges via my Wallbox app (99.9% perfectly) so this is going to take a bit of getting used to.

Oh, I forgot to mention I've set the Tesla app to charge at 23:30 to avoid any initial peak rate charging when plugging (seems to be a tip that's worked well for others)
It will start charging at 23:30 for an indeterminate amount of time while the API communicates with the charger and stops it again. You may not care less about that as it will bill at off-peak rates, but one of the main reasons Octopus launched Intelligent was to remove the demand spike of lots of EVs all starting to charge at the same time on fixed off-peak tariffs.

Reactions: rowedav