Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency disconnect switches with Battery Storage and Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla screwed up my panel labeling. Need to know what the experts think.
I have a 200 amp disconnect switch outside between the meter and TEG, I think should be marked “Emergency Disconnect, Not Service equipment”.
Then I have a generation panel outside that goes to the TEG combining battery storage and Solar, I think that should be marked “Emergency Disconnect, Service Disconnect”, or perhaps “Not Service Equipment”. Kind of torn on this one, there is also a 400 amp battery panel inside the garage that lands to this panel. What should the breaker inside the TEG be labeled?
Panels in garage should be labeled service equipment. Do the emergency panels need to be labeled? 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and 3 of 3.
I really think the generation panel main breaker is an emergency disconnect or the house will still have power! Code is not real clear about battery storage yet.

My install thread: Installation is starting - 8 PW and 12 solar panels

2020 Code Language:

N
230.85 Emergency Disconnects.

For one- and two-family dwelling units, all service conductors shall terminate in disconnecting means having a short-circuit current rating equal to or greater than the available fault current, installed in a readily accessible outdoor location. If more than one disconnect is provided, they shall be grouped. Each disconnect shall be one of the following:

(1) Service disconnects marked as follows:

EMERGENCY DISCONNECT,

SERVICE DISCONNECT

(2) Meter disconnects installed per 230.82(3) and marked as follows:

EMERGENCY DISCONNECT,

METER DISCONNECT, NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT

(3) Other listed disconnect switches or circuit breakers on the supply side of each service disconnect that are suitable for use as service equipment and marked as follows:

EMERGENCY DISCONNECT, NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT

Markings shall comply with 110.21(B).

Is the multi-line diagram you posted accurate?

If not, please post a corrected mutli-line diagram in this thread.

Also, please identify for each piece of equipment on the diagram whether it is inside or outside. Also indicate grouping, which outside panels are right next to each other, which inside panels are right next to each other.

Thanks,
Wayne

powerwall engineering.JPG

I am basing my comments on this diagram above.
I think Tesla screwed up my panel labeling. Need to know what the experts think.
I have a 200 amp disconnect switch outside between the meter and TEG, I think should be marked “Emergency Disconnect, Not Service equipment”.
The code hasn't caught up to ESS installations as you say. Per the code, your safety switch disconnect between the meter and the TEG should be marked per 230.85(1).

Then I have a generation panel outside that goes to the TEG combining battery storage and Solar, I think that should be marked “Emergency Disconnect, Service Disconnect”, or perhaps “Not Service Equipment”. Kind of torn on this one, there is also a 400 amp battery panel inside the garage that lands to this panel. What should the breaker inside the TEG be labeled?
I would label this panel "This panel supplied by battery/ESS system and utility power" Turning off the other breakers as you describe will work but it is harder than finding the single breaker that turns everything off.
Panels in garage should be labeled service equipment. Do the emergency panels need to be labeled? 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and 3 of 3.
I really think the generation panel main breaker is an emergency disconnect or the house will still have power! Code is not real clear about battery storage yet.
Service equipment is only the panel containing the first overcurrent device after the utility meter, other panels are just panels or emergency/essential loads panels. But really you aren't most interested in the code here since you passed final inspection, you are interested in properly labeling the panels for the emergency responders or electrician trying to troubleshoot this in the future.

I would label all essential loads panels fed by the ess with a label that indicated they are fed from the backup circuit.

I would ensure that when a first responder came by, the directory placard that is installed at the service location had clear directions to turn off all sources of power.
1. Shut down utility power (this is your bladed AC disconnect that cuts utility power to the home and sends it into backup mode)
2. Shut down PV power (this isnt clear to me from your SLD but probably the 200A breaker in your panel with all the PV and ESS in it, turning off this breaker looks to break the electrical connection between the PV and ESS systems, from the TEG. If the TEG sees no voltage, it will automatically shut down all ESS from the battery side. Turning off this main breaker therefore turns off all generation sources)
3. Shut down ESS power (if the statement above is true then one main breaker can turn off everything.

I am basing my comments on this diagram above.

The code hasn't caught up to ESS installations as you say. Per the code, your safety switch disconnect between the meter and the TEG should be marked per 230.85(1).
To expand on this, both panels U and W in the diagram should be so labeled. And they should both be outside as specified. If for some reason U was not installed, and W is outside, and the "(E) Distribution Panel Left" is inside as I understand it to be, that would be 230.72(A) violation.

On the labeling requirements for PV / ESS I defer to Vines.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:
Panel V, generation panel, has a main breaker which will disconnect it from the TEG. I believe you are correct and the batteries will shut down when the main breaker is thrown, but have not tested it. I believe the fire department will look and open every thing labeled emergency disconnect.