Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any news on if he has stopped being a COIVD sceptic and decided to take the vaccine yet?

Elon Musk doubles down on COVID-19 skepticism and says he won't take future vaccine

Most of the other sceptics have, you see Republican politicians lining up for it now.
He’s not too bright when it comes to the fundamental failings of free market theory, as is the case with most libertarians - it requires cherry picking to shoehorn theory into reality
Don’t expect any change on Covid19 from him - he staked too much into his position with idiocy. We’re a long way from “close to zero cases by end of April”

AI can do anything it can train to do (with feedback). The challenge with general AI or corner case AI is limited training data or slow/inexistent feedback loop.

AI doesn't work like that, at least not current AI. It's not like a person that can learn and master new tasks. It has to be designed for specific and very limited tasks. If Tesla don't anticipate something it won't be able to handle it, there simply won't be a NN capable of dealing with that situation.

In any case they likely don't even use AI for planning, just for recognition.

By what measure though? On paper maybe but that's only because Tesla's valuation is so silly.

I'm sure there are people in other industries with more "real" wealth that is based on the true value of a current business. Bezos probably, Amazon has real sales volume and AWS.

Elon's wealth is no less real than Bezos. In theory, both could convert their shares into that cash value. In practice, not so much, for either man. If anything, Elon's wealth is more diversified since he holds a significant stake in SpaceX.

Reactions: LN1_Casey
I am saying that Amazon's valuation is more realistic, based on real revenue streams. Not just Amazon, there are lots of other ultra rich people in the same boat.

Tesla's valuation is based on a lot of speculation about future performance and their ability to get technologies like FSD working soon. When you look at the number of cars they make or their revenue it doesn't justify the valuation.

I know what you said, I just don’t agree. That’s like saying Berkshire Hathaway should be worth more than Tesla. You and other value investors miss the part where Berkshire has steady but guaranteed small growth ahead of it while Tesla has likely massive growth ahead of it. It is the same reason all growth stocks are “overvalued” using a certain set of metrics. Anyways this discussion is more suited to one of the investment threads.

I don't see massive growth for Tesla. Their valuation is so high they would have to become the world's largest auto manufacturer and then some to justify it. And at this point even if they get FSD working in the next year or two I don't think robotaxi will be as big as people think, especially as a lot of other companies will be competing in that space too.

And what does this have to do with this thread? As I said, I do not agree with you. Peddle your thoughts elsewhere please.

He is the richest person with known wealth. There are rumors that Vladimir Putin might be the richest person on Earth, but it can't be verified.

By what measure though? On paper maybe but that's only because Tesla's valuation is so silly.

I'm sure there are people in other industries with more "real" wealth that is based on the true value of a current business. Bezos probably, Amazon has real sales volume and AWS.

It annoys me that people talk about the richest person on Earth like they're Scrooge McDuck with a mountain of gold in the basement. None of the richest people, Bezos, Musk, Gates, etc. can lay their hands on all their wealth at once. Gates is a good example of how slow it is to access your wealth if your in that league. He has planned to sell off almost all his Microsoft stock and put it into his foundation by the time he dies, but he can only sell a relatively small amount a year or else he crashes the stock price. So far he has more wealth now than when he started selling off the Microsoft stock because it continues to go up in value.

When you have so much wealth in stock, there are ways you can free up some cash for things the rest of us would think extravagant like six houses in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country. They can sell a small amount of their stock, or borrow against it. Banks love to give those types of loans. Someone owns $100 billion in stock and wants a loan for $10 mil. It's a pretty safe bet unless the stock is something like Enron.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
It annoys me that people talk about the richest person on Earth like they're Scrooge McDuck with a mountain of gold in the basement.

Whaaaat? You mean this isn't real?? Childhood illusions, shattered.

1*2kLD3EnaJ-6INo0O-MvjzQ.jpeg

... or borrow against it. Banks love to give those types of loans. Someone owns $100 billion in stock and wants a loan for $10 mil. It's a pretty safe bet unless the stock is something like Enron.

Yes, that's what many stock rich billionaires do and when you think about it, it makes perfect financial sense for them. Elon would be poorer today if he had sold Tesla stock as he needed it for living expenses, rather than borrow against it paying, say 4% per year.

I've secretly always wanted a vault like that ever since I saw that comic as a kid...

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Status
Not open for further replies.