Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eliminating the funk for good... a UV-C light next to the condenser?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to throw this idea out there. I don't really care about the funk; it vaguely smells like petrichor to me and I don't mind it. In principle though, who wants to drive a stanky car? There are many solutions out there, but I've noticed that they never work for everyone. Some protocol of disinfecting or using activated carbon only works for so long.

But there has been a solution in the HVAC industry for a while now which I recently just learned about: a UV-C bulb next the condenser. They run these as it eliminates or slows down growth of mold in the condenser and catch pan. It's effective and proven technology. Why not employ it in our cars? There are a few places to tap into 12v near the filter and they make UV-C LEDs that will fit into the tiny space between the condenser and filter.

The only negative things I can see happening is premature failure of the LEDs due to the humidity and possibly breaking down the ABS due to UV exposure. On the former, there are plenty of ways to waterproof with conformal coating, and on the latter I'm pretty sure there won't be any exposed plastic once the filter is installed (the condenser will block most of it the other way too).

I couldn't immediately find reputable and cheap vendors for UV-C LEDs; they aren't toys and shouldn't be played with so it makes sense. But maybe we can find a cheap product that contains them and repurpose them to kill the stank for good.

Note: It's apparently been proven that these lights do not work in a moving air column to purify it, before anyone suggests it. They do have enough energy to create free radicals but they get dispersed too quickly to do any work.