Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side headlight gets lower and lower

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is mine. Its been this ever since I got the car.

It makes sense.
The right side is lowest for on coming traffic on other side of road
The middle is a little higher as no oncoming traffic on the left side of road
The left side points toward the side of the road and should be the highest
Mine are similar. As was the Liberty I had before, although it was globes so it didn't have that stepped block look, it was a smoother curve from the reflectors inside the headlight units.

I don't believe the headlight levelling is meant to just be done by itself, it's supposed to be part of a step-by-step process for calibrating the headlights. Maybe just ask the service centre if they can calibrate them for you next time you're there for tires or something?

Mine are similar. As was the Liberty I had before, although it was globes so it didn't have that stepped block look, it was a smoother curve from the reflectors inside the headlight units.

I don't believe the headlight levelling is meant to just be done by itself, it's supposed to be part of a step-by-step process for calibrating the headlights. Maybe just ask the service centre if they can calibrate them for you next time you're there for tires or something?
I can confirm that headlights have to be levelled and calibrated. One of mine was replaced recently and I watched them doing both in a dark part of the shed they call the service centre.

The headlights absolutely need to be leveled manually at some point in the manufacturing process, a headlight replacement would definitely require it as well.

Tesla's own, free to access service manual, tells you how to do it and the instructions literally make you calibrate them such that both headlights are level with each other.

For those unsure about how to access the service manual just head to: Tesla Service and sign up for a free account. Once you've signed in, head to this link to go directly to the non-matrix headlight adjustment instructions. You can also navigate the service manual to the matrix instructions as well.

I'm actually more curious about the slight headlight adjustments that I've observed when opening/closing the door. What's the purpose of this and is it a bug? Of course, I don't really expect to find an answer, I just wanted to share what I've observed to a wider audience to see if I'm the only one.