Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does going to 19" wheels improve range over 20"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the difference isn't so much going from a larger size to a smaller size but going from a heavier weight to a lighter weight wheel. The smaller Wheel and Tire combos are generally lighter than the larger Wheel and Tire combos. Or it could be going from a wider Tire to a narrower tire which will generally offer less rolling resistance.

The thing I'm waiting to see is someone range test a Model S or Model X with four space saver wheels and tires. They are about as light in low rolling resistance as it gets and I'm suspicious that they wouldn't produce any significant increase in range. Granted they are totally unsafe for anything more than a whimsical test but it would be interesting to see their impact on range. Has anybody done any range tests with the stock tires in an overinflated state? I'm curious what over-inflated tires would do to range.

I wonder if the difference isn't so much going from a larger size to a smaller size but going from a heavier weight to a lighter weight wheel. The smaller Wheel and Tire combos are generally lighter than the larger Wheel and Tire combos. Or it could be going from a wider Tire to a narrower tire which will generally offer less rolling resistance.
This has pretty much already been confirmed. Many people have reported no range loss with large, lightweight wheels. The OEM 22's are really quite heavy though.

As other's have stated it isn't about the actual size of the wheel per se, it's about the weight of the wheel and the type of rubber and width of the tire. The weight makes a big difference, all things being equal tire wise, a set of 24" wheels made out of titanium or magnesium (i.e.: very light weight) would be more efficient than the standard 20" wheels. But, as others have pointed out, typically when you go to a bigger rim and a lower profile tire, you also go to more of a performance tire which do have a greater rolling resistance.

Real world best efficiency would be achieved buying the lightest 19 or 20" wheel you can find, (that still has the necessary weight rating) and purchase a set of tires specifically designed for low rolling resistance. Also, buy the narrowest tire you can get that will still fit the rim (again, beware of weight ratings) this will decrease rolling resistance as well. You will suffer some in handling and cornering performance, but most people looking for economy aren't concerned about carving high speed corners.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911