Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I should not have written LFP in there bc the higher end M3 are not LFP either. My belief is that the SR RWD version of both the M3 and MY are LFP. I don’t really know anything about the batteries either being used or that Tesla plans to use in 2024. I believe I’ve read that the Highland gets no changes to drive or battery though. I guess the question then would be what is actually going to change? Who knows.
RWD MY that I demoed the other day was not LFP. Or at least the charging screen seemed to indicate that it was not LFP. From what I've read, no delivered MY RWD (USA) have the 100% recommended charge screen which would indicate LFP.

RWD MY that I demoed the other day was not LFP. Or at least the charging screen seemed to indicate that it was not LFP. From what I've read, no delivered MY RWD (USA) have the 100% recommended charge screen which would indicate LFP.
That’s correct from what I understand. The “daily” recommendation is 80 for non-LFP as I understand it. Thank you for this info, as I thought I’d read that the MY RWD would be LFP, and it sounds like it’s not.

Since I believe the LFP batteries are made in China, I don’t know how / why the FuelEconomy.gov site lists the M3 RWD SR as eligible for $7500. Maybe there’s some special exception for it this year, perhaps including an oversight or error. Who knows.

But since there are non LFP M3, it doesn’t seem to make sense that it would be cut and not the MY. Perhaps just the LFP will be dropped from the $7500, and the non-LFP will continue to get $7500. Hmm…

In any case, the MY looks like the one to buy in Q1 of 2024, and one Tesla probably hopes to cover the lower market with during that time. Time will tell.

I guess I should not have written LFP in there bc the higher end M3 are not LFP either. My belief is that the SR RWD version of both the M3 and MY are LFP. I don’t really know anything about the batteries either being used or that Tesla plans to use in 2024. I believe I’ve read that the Highland gets no changes to drive or battery though. I guess the question then would be what is actually going to change? Who knows.

SR RWD version of the M3 screen says to charge to 100% but not the MY, AFAIK.

Looks like other posters have the same experience

Reactions: mknmike
Since I believe the LFP batteries are made in China, I don’t know how / why the FuelEconomy.gov site lists the M3 RWD SR as eligible for $7500. Maybe there’s some special exception for it this year, perhaps including an oversight or error. Who knows.
The critical minerals requirements for the battery are no longer allowed from a foreign country of concern (including China) next year causing the LFP to no longer qualify for the additional $3750, hence the reduction in credit for 2024.

Reactions: badiban and mknmike
Interestingly, almost all M3 RWD and LR inventory discounts are gone in my area. Not sure if this is just a lull or if they are easing off certain discounts. For the last few days, the discounts on the MY were also scarce in my area, but started coming back last night, so maybe the M3 discounts will return as well. It does feel different than the end of last quarter though, as it seemed like the discounts were consistent all the way to the end of September.

I just read on Tesla’s website that the Model 3 RWD and LR will lose the entire $7,500 tax credit on 1/1/2024. Oh my goodness.

Also says
$7,500 Federal Tax Credit
All new Model Y vehicles currently qualify for a federal tax credit for eligible buyers. Take delivery by Dec 31 for full $7,500 tax credit.

Wonder if any changes are afoot for My RWD?

I just read on Tesla’s website that the Model 3 RWD and LR will lose the entire $7,500 tax credit on 1/1/2024. Oh my goodness.
Model 3 RWD will lose all the credit, the M3 LR loses 1/2.
MYLR retains full credit.

For 2024, the credit becomes a Point Of Sale credit, ie it comes off the purchase price.
You will need to file special IRS forms to declare it and prove you qualify for Tax Year 2024, but the credit will be upfront, not 12-15 months later getting reimbursed.

Though I did not receive the $1K off email, I contacted Tesla and was told that the discount was additive to other discounts and applied automatically to *new* orders placed by the end of the year from the same account as my CT reservation.

I'll place a new order since the only thing that's changed is the $ 250 vs $500 referal+ I did receive the $1K off email. The auto part means I can't self refer though :(

I'll place a new order since the only thing that's changed is the $ 250 vs $500 referal+ I did receive the $1K off email. The auto part means I can't self refer though :(
I believe you can self refer. By "auto" I meant that when I requested the "chat lady Jessica" to send me the email since I had Day-0 CT reservation, she said there was no need since the discount would be applied automatically as long as the order was placed from the same account.

In fact, I would check if they could waive the "new" order rule, and allow you to take $1K off of your existing order that had the $500 referral -- who knows, you might get a rare customer-caring rep. on the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: vickh