Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery woes - advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I ordered my car in late November to get my order in before the price hike. The original delivery estimate was late December, which was earlier than I needed it. When I went to the sales center to test drive the car they told me it would be no problem to put in an order and have it held to whatever later delivery date I wanted. So I asked them to push back the December delivery date to late January, as my current auto lease doesn't expire until the beginning of February. They did that and never suggested this might be a problem - it showed up as "late January/early February" in my online profile. In the last few days, though, the date changed to "late February/early March." The guys I've been talking to from the pickup facility are insistent that there is nothing they can do about this and that this is the first "available" window. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Obviously, there are going to be cars made and delivered in January. Just not mine. I don't understand why I should have to wait longer rather than just having them bump me up to my (rightful!) place on the priority list. Has anyone experienced an issue like this before and had any luck escalating it to get an earlier delivery? They are trying to convince me to give up my custom order and get something from new inventory instead, which I'd rather not do since I want the specs I chose and if I'm paying for a new car, I want to get a new car rather than a floor model or a test drive model. So the way I see it, the options I've got are either being a squeaky wheel and complaining until they fix this, or sucking it up and Ubering my commute for a month. I'd prefer the former but don't know if I'm wasting my time. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet as the delivery dates can jump around. Originally, I had mine scheduled for a June delivery. Then I delayed until October and then again until December. At the end of November, my delivery date changed to late December/early January. I was a bit concerned but was later relieved when my car went into production on 11/24. It arrived at the local service center eight days later, on 12/2. I ended up taking delivery on 12/7.

Hopefully as the date gets closer you'll find that it won't really be delayed until February/March. I know there was at least one buyer (in NH or VT?) who was able to get a loaner before their car was delivered.

Last edited:
Thanks, had not even thought of that - is that something they ever do?
I've seen it mentioned here - that's only reason I suggested it. Definitely worth a try, but I can't speak for it directly.

Who know what they will announce around Jan 15. Waiting is not bad if it's doable. You'll experience a hefty depreciation every month... even if you have to find an alternate option for a month.

I delayed delivery initially until June, then removed the delay in early April. Mine jumped from saying early May to late June/early July. They even told me it would likely be the second week of June. Then just a couple of weeks later I took delivery on May 25. Don't sweat the dates on the website, they aren't terribly accurate.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker