Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decision decision decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could always get the Y first and use for a few years and if there's no significant changes that drops current model y values; it'll hopefully retain a good value. Trade-in/sell and get a Mach E a few years later if you're still interested while they work out their kinks for a new car. Whereas if you went with mach e first, you won't know what potential problems might be coming your way. Just my $0.02.

That plan sounds even better with the 39% residual on Mach E leases. That's substantially lower than other similar vehicles.

Reactions: imola.zhp
If ride quality is important to you, you can bet the Mach E will ride better. With a Model 3/Y, if you like a premium suspension, you need to budget $3k for one of the aftermarket coilover kits. That’s what I did. Bit annoying that Tesla went with super low quality suspension components.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jetsurgn
Would you recommend any shop in Houston for installing the coilovers?

Unfortunately I don't have a recommendation. I DIY all my daily driver and exotic cars, so I installed the new suspension myself last week. There's nothing special about the Tesla suspension, so any shop that's good at what they do can do it. Whoever does the alignment needs to know that the Model 3/Y does have camber/caster adjustment despite so many saying the contrary.

Unfortunately I don't have a recommendation. I DIY all my daily driver and exotic cars, so I installed the new suspension myself last week. There's nothing special about the Tesla suspension, so any shop that's good at what they do can do it. Whoever does the alignment needs to know that the Model 3/Y does have camber/caster adjustment despite so many saying the contrary.
Is it just the exotic cars or do you also consider working on Teslas :). How is the ride quality after the installation?

Is it just the exotic cars or do you also consider working on Teslas :). How is the ride quality after the installation?

Yes, I do the work on my Tesla as well.

The ride is much more premium with the new suspension. I am hypersensitive to suspensions. Some people are super sensitive to audio systems. I can't really tell the difference between a $500 audio system and a $20K audio system, but I can really tell the difference with suspensions.

With the OEM suspension, if you hit a harsh piece of pavement, it's like getting hit in the back of the head with a 2x4. With the new suspension, it's like someone came out and sanded the imperfection in the road so you still feel it, but you glide over it.

And worse, at freeway speeds when you hit uneven pavement, it's like the OEM suspension is trying to throw you up and forward in your seat. That's a very unsettling feeling to me. That sensation is completely gone.

But like I said, some people aren't sensitive to the poor design and quality of the OEM suspension, so they will say they have no idea what I am talking about. If you are one of those people, you'll save $3K for not needing a suspension upgrade. If you aren't, plan to do the suspension upgrade as soon as you get the car so you don't end up regretting that you suffered with the OEM suspension too long.

Last edited:
Yes, I do the work on my Tesla as well.

The ride is much more premium with the new suspension. I am hypersensitive to suspensions. Some people are super sensitive to audio systems. I can't really tell the difference between a $500 audio system and a $20K audio system, but I can really tell the difference with suspensions.

With the OEM suspension, if you hit a harsh piece of pavement, it's like getting hit in the back of the head with a 2x4. With the new suspension, it's like someone came out and sanded the imperfection in the road so you still feel it, but you glide over it.

And worse, at freeway speeds when you hit uneven pavement, it's like the OEM suspension is trying to throw you up and forward in your seat. That's a very unsettling feeling to me. That sensation is completely gone.

But like I said, some people aren't sensitive to the poor design and quality of the OEM suspension, so they will say they have no idea what I am talking about. If you are one of those people, you'll save $3K for not needing a suspension upgrade. If you aren't, plan to do the suspension upgrade as soon as you get the car so you don't end up regretting that you suffered with the OEM suspension too long.
I realized that you worked on your Tesla. I was wondering if you are open to helping a fellow Model Y owner with the same ;)

I realized that you worked on your Tesla. I was wondering if you are open to helping a fellow Model Y owner with the same ;)

Oh... yeah, no.

I am getting older, and it's hard enough for me to have enough energy to take care of the 6 cars I currently own (3 daily and 3 exotic). Plus there are 2-3 other cars in the family that I am doing work on. I might have to start selling some of these cars, because I don't trust mechanics, so I have always said I won't own more cars than I can do all the work. And when I finally get to the point I can't work on cars at all, I am just going to do 2 year leases on Toyotas.

Oh... yeah, no.

I am getting older, and it's hard enough for me to have enough energy to take care of the 6 cars I currently own (3 daily and 3 exotic). Plus there are 2-3 other cars in the family that I am doing work on. I might have to start selling some of these cars, because I don't trust mechanics, so I have always said I won't own more cars than I can do all the work. And when I finally get to the point I can't work on cars at all, I am just going to do 2 year leases on Toyotas.
No worries. Which kit did you go with?

Need some help here.

I've been deciding between Model Y and Mach E for a while, and pre-ordered Mach E earlier this year, still un-deciding.

What I like about the Mach E is better fit &finish (possible), additional 10.2" screen, better interior &exterior (personal preference), heated steering wheel, better seats material with heated seats;

What I like about Model Y is: Better battery and software ( at least more proven); better range; more storage space; supercharge! Although I probably won't use EV for road trip and still nice to have the capability.

I need to make decision within a month also, any suggestion is appreciated.

I dont want to be a spreader of FUD, but Ford are inexperienced in EV tech, while Tesla have 10+ years. You only have to look at some of the problems Audi E-Tron owners are having (and the Jaguar EV also). I'm not saying the Mach-E will be a bad car, just that I would not buy it until they have a year of mfg experience and user feedback to get things right.

While I agree about fit+finish (my last two cars were an Audi A6 and Infiniti G37, both impeccable), I've never regretted getting a Tesla, the experience has been worth the slight downgrade in interior smartness. And I actually love the spartan look of the M3 interior anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: jetsurgn
That plan sounds even better with the 39% residual on Mach E leases. That's substantially lower than other similar vehicles.

I saw this article yesterday: Report: Ford Preps For Big Depreciation For Mustang Mach-E: 39%

Something to consider.

Keep in mind that part of this is due to the vehicle being eligible for the US federal tax credit. Its the same for all non-Tesla manufacturers, the depreciation is a bit higher. If you deduct the $7500 it looks a lot better.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: jdr93 and jetsurgn
Hopefully I won't come off too harsh. Apologies in advance if so. Here is how I will put the fork in front of you: Do you want a computer with wheels or a car that is electric? It's a subtle distinction with far ranging ramifications. Tesla is a Silicon Valley based company. They breath software engineering (and are now exercising more and more their mechanical engineering prowess) and innovation. Ford is a (mechanical) car company making decisions around the dollar. Their cars are made the cheapest way possible and now they will add the cheapest electric power terrain to their cars. While both sitting in a showroom in front of you (well, that's not even true yet with Ford) may seem similar, what's beneath the skin and how each arrived there is miles apart in philosophy. Which philosophy do you aspire to? I know a computer is a much more flexible, adaptable, configurable tool. A car with just electric propulsion is inflexible and static albeit new technology. Choose wisely.

Hopefully I won't come off too harsh. Apologies in advance if so. Here is how I will put the fork in front of you: Do you want a computer with wheels or a car that is electric? It's a subtle distinction with far ranging ramifications. Tesla is a Silicon Valley based company. They breath software engineering (and are now exercising more and more their mechanical engineering prowess) and innovation. Ford is a (mechanical) car company making decisions around the dollar. Their cars are made the cheapest way possible and now they will add the cheapest electric power terrain to their cars. While both sitting in a showroom in front of you (well, that's not even true yet with Ford) may seem similar, what's beneath the skin and how each arrived there is miles apart in philosophy. Which philosophy do you aspire to? I know a computer is a much more flexible, adaptable, configurable tool. A car with just electric propulsion is inflexible and static albeit new technology. Choose wisely.

I dunno know about that. The problem with Tesla is there isn't anything about their infotainment system that is reliable and well designed. Everything is wonky. The auto wipers, the auto headlights, Spotify, AP, FSD, Sentry and Dashcam, phone key, Wi-Fi connectivity, etc. Heck, even Fart Mode has long standing bugs that still haven't been fixed. Tesla's strengths are not software development, nor suspension tuning. They did a good job with the motors, controllers, and battery pack management, and supercharger network, and managed to make electric cars cool, but everything else is suspect, especially their software, their service, and build quality.

This is not Ford's first electric car.

Ford Electric Cars: Past, Present and Future

If they can get the motors and batteries right, they could easily put out a better product than Tesla.

Reactions: ahmadr
"Although I probably won't use EV for road trip and still nice to have the capability."

Wife and I just drove DFW to Phila. Four legs one day, four the next. Drove with traffic on highway. No problems at all.
I also have a Model 3 perf and we drove that last year. Same thing but Y is lots bigger inside and rides smoother than the M3P..

I dunno know about that. The problem with Tesla is there isn't anything about their infotainment system that is reliable and well designed. Everything is wonky. The auto wipers, the auto headlights, Spotify, AP, FSD, Sentry and Dashcam, phone key, Wi-Fi connectivity, etc. Heck, even Fart Mode has long standing bugs that still haven't been fixed. Tesla's strengths are not software development, nor suspension tuning. They did a good job with the motors, controllers, and battery pack management, and supercharger network, and managed to make electric cars cool, but everything else is suspect, especially their software, their service, and build quality.

Couldn't disagree more. I for one love the interface and nothing is "wonky". But each to his own. You like Sync I am guessing. A few dozen other people as well. So there is that I suppose. However I - and most others - know Tesla's software UX and integration is bar none. No car manufacturer to date has done software right. Clunky mouse and wheels and slow unintuitive screens and menu. Why do you think they almost all fell back on Apple or Android car play? It wasn't because they got their own systems right believe me. This will be no different. Tesla is leading and Ford is trying to pretend they can catch up. Good of them to try. But let's not trash the leader out of spite.