Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Dashcam Flash Drive Repeatedly Disconnecting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I fixed. Got a high endurance SD card. Works perfectly.
Can you link the card you got? I have a 21 Model Y with the same issue as everyone else here, the usb drive that came with the car just won’t stay connected. I bought used about a month ago but am still waiting for the paperwork so I can claim ownership. Would love to solve this without ticketing and going through all that mess!

I'm having the same issue in my brand-new M3, I got an ultra-fast 1TB USB stick, but the connectivity keeps dropping-out whenever the car tries to record a sentry event. Weirdly, the included Tesla USB drive seems to have no problems, but 128GB isn't big enough for my use. I also got a SanDisk high-performance 1TB MicroSD, and USB 3.0 reader, so I'll try using that and see what happens.

I'm having the same issue in my brand-new M3, I got an ultra-fast 1TB USB stick, but the connectivity keeps dropping-out whenever the car tries to record a sentry event. Weirdly, the included Tesla USB drive seems to have no problems, but 128GB isn't big enough for my use. I also got a SanDisk high-performance 1TB MicroSD, and USB 3.0 reader, so I'll try using that and see what happens.
Tried the MicroSD with high-speed USB adapter, but it gave a notification to "Remove and re-insert USB drive for faster speed". I did exactly as it said, but it just gave the same message again. I left it alone to see if it would still work, but it didn't even try to record any sentry events. I tried using it through a USB hub, and it didn't give the notification message anymore, but also still wouldn't record sentry events.

I eventually swapped back to the original Tesla USB drive provided, but now that isn't working either, having the same disconnection problems as my bigger & faster USB drive originally tried.

I'm at a loss of what to try now, so I'll probably need to schedule a service appointment.

Tried the MicroSD with high-speed USB adapter, but it gave a notification to "Remove and re-insert USB drive for faster speed". I did exactly as it said, but it just gave the same message again. I left it alone to see if it would still work, but it didn't even try to record any sentry events. I tried using it through a USB hub, and it didn't give the notification message anymore, but also still wouldn't record sentry events.

I eventually swapped back to the original Tesla USB drive provided, but now that isn't working either, having the same disconnection problems as my bigger & faster USB drive originally tried.

I'm at a loss of what to try now, so I'll probably need to schedule a service appointment.
UPDATE: Tesla Service advised that this is a known issue, and they are working on a firmware update to fix it. Related, Elon also tweeted about the problem, saying a firmware fix will be coming "soon™".

Reactions: Adam K

These are built for dash cams. USB’s are not.

Tesla should really switch.
I ended up getting that SD card the other day and everything has been perfect since. Not a single drop since setup. Thanks for the recommendation!