Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CyberTruck Image Leaked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its obvious who has never owned a truck or been outside suburbia.

There are many solutions to carry multiple full size spares in a truck bed. Even simpler, If the bed has D-rings or attachment points you can just ratchet strap down to that. I had 2 of these in the back of my 80 on 37’s

Hitch mounted spares suck…. They rattle, decrease your departure angle, get in the way of the bed,…

It’s also important to remember LT 35”+ Mounted wheels will weight at least 75 lbs, some closer to 90+ lbs.

In addition to other spare parts I carry 2 spares and a can of fix a flat when I head above Fairbanks. When I had my heep (jeep) I also took 2 sets of u-joints, a front axle, and front driveline.

Its obvious who has never owned a truck or been outside suburbia.

There are many solutions to carry multiple full size spares in a truck bed. Even simpler, If the bed has D-rings or attachment points you can just ratchet strap down to that. I had 2 of these in the back of my 80 on 37’s

Hitch mounted spares suck…. They rattle, decrease your departure angle, get in the way of the bed,…

It’s also important to remember LT 35”+ Mounted wheels will weight at least 75 lbs, some closer to 90+ lbs.

In addition to other spare parts I carry 2 spares and a can of fix a flat when I head above Fairbanks. When I had my heep (jeep) I also took 2 sets of u-joints, a front axle, and front driveline.
It would suck to give up that much premium bed space for a spare tire. Not sure I could make that work.

But I do agree about hitch mounts, they are a pain.

This is why I want some kind of built in support for a spare. I’m not likely to need more than one on a given day.

Reactions: CyberGus
It would suck to give up that much premium bed space for a spare tire. Not sure I could make that work.

This is why I want some kind of built in support for a spare. I’m not likely to need more than one on a given day.
I hear you. I only used 2 of them when I traveled above Fairbanks (Alaska) or far in the backcountry. With 37’s I couldn’t fit the spare under the truck, I often took the only spare out.

In my LX570 I don’t even use a spare in the winter. In the summer I can fit one 33 in the spare tire space and put a 2nd on my roof rack when I go places that I take 2.

Reactions: Ogre

For sure it needs a spare and for me under the bed (like rivian) would be fine.

There is no way one OEM tire and wheel for the CT will be under $550, and >$700 wouldn’t surprise me. Which I guess may be considered inexpensive to some?

Okay, whatever it costs. Better for 1 out of 50 clients to purchase one then every single CT ever sold to be saddled with the cost and loss of storage space.

But generally a cheap generic steel wheel good enough for a spare combined with an inexpensive spare tire is adequate for spare usage, something that rarely gets used anyways.

Heck, there will be used CT wheels for sale online, scratched or otherwise. You'll always be able to purchase one and either reuse a well worn tire, or purchase a new one for your spare wheel if you desire.

We'll have airless tires in less than 7 years so that's coming along as well.

Okay, whatever it costs. Better for 1 out of 50 clients to purchase one then every single CT ever sold to be saddled with the cost and loss of storage space.

But generally a cheap generic steel wheel good enough for a spare combined with an inexpensive spare tire is adequate for spare usage, something that rarely gets used anyways.

Heck, there will be used CT wheels for sale online, scratched or otherwise. You'll always be able to purchase one and either reuse a well worn tire, or purchase a new one for your spare wheel if you desire.

We'll have airless tires in less than 7 years so that's coming along as well.
With a matching full sized spare you should do a 5 tire rotation and then get ~20% more life out of your set of tires. So you shouldn’t be “saddled” with unnecessary cost. Then if you do have a blowout it is seamless to just add your spare to the offending tire and not necessarily have to buy a complete set.

With a matching full sized spare you should do a 5 tire rotation and then get ~20% more life out of your set of tires. So you shouldn’t be “saddled” with unnecessary cost. Then if you do have a blowout it is seamless to just add your spare to the offending tire and not necessarily have to buy a complete set.
Plus, if you do get a flat in BFE on a 4WD trail you have a functioning tire instead of a biscuit which is likely to flat quickly regardless.

I hadn't thought about 5 tire rotation, it's a great idea. Presumably if you do get a flat and lose a tire, the replacement is out of rotation until you need to replace the other 4.

Reactions: coleAK
Plus, if you do get a flat in BFE on a 4WD trail you have a functioning tire instead of a biscuit which is likely to flat quickly regardless.

I hadn't thought about 5 tire rotation, it's a great idea. Presumably if you do get a flat and lose a tire, the replacement is out of rotation until you need to replace the other 4.
Yes, if you do have a non-repairable flat once the tires have worn down then you would take the new tire out of rotation until you replace the other 4.

I’ve been using the rearward cross method for years. It extends the tire life, actually uses the spare, and is easier as you only have one wheel off at a time.

Attachments

• BE44EFE1-5F9C-460A-ABBD-DD42E2EB5CC7.jpeg
    BE44EFE1-5F9C-460A-ABBD-DD42E2EB5CC7.jpeg
    668.4 KB · Views: 62
Very few vehicles come with full size spares with the same wheel as the rest of the vehicle has, that I've seen.

Neither of my 2 vehicles, both high end, have full spares with the nice Aluminum wheel. Other vehicles were staggered so that wouldn't work. I know some variants of Teslas are staggered as well.

Anyways, I already get 60K+ out of a set of AT tires so the idea of extending that further isn't appealing to me, but we're all different right?

If I'm truthful I really don't rotate either. I had some 'house brand' Discount Tire brand Pathfinders and they wore pretty quickly (about 45K) and were vibrating after every 5K miles so I'd take them in for a free rebalance and rotation and they needed it. However I swapped to Nittos and they simply don't need anything 40K+ miles in and only looking about 50% worn. Smooth driving as the day they were installed and totally even wear.

On my sports cars, since sold, I killed the tires so quickly that they were used up and staggered so rotations and spares didn't apply.

Reactions: CyberGus
Very few vehicles come with full size spares with the same wheel as the rest of the vehicle has, that I've seen.

Neither of my 2 vehicles, both high end, have full spares with the nice Aluminum wheel. Other vehicles were staggered so that wouldn't work. I know some variants of Teslas are staggered as well.

Anyways, I already get 60K+ out of a set of AT tires so the idea of extending that further isn't appealing to me, but we're all different right?

If I'm truthful I really don't rotate either. I had some 'house brand' Discount Tire brand Pathfinders and they wore pretty quickly (about 45K) and were vibrating after every 5K miles so I'd take them in for a free rebalance and rotation and they needed it. However I swapped to Nittos and they simply don't need anything 40K+ miles in and only looking about 50% worn. Smooth driving as the day they were installed and totally even wear.

On my sports cars, since sold, I killed the tires so quickly that they were used up and staggered so rotations and spares didn't apply.
Hugh, every truck/SUV I’ve owned in the last ~25 years has had a spare is on a matching rim full size spare. Lexus LX570, MB g500, Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series, Porsche Cayenne turbo (was a rear mounted add on factory option, standard way the inflatable). My MB e320 4matic also has one. Only ones that didn’t have a spare: Tesla model 3, Tesla model S, Porsche GT3, Porsche turbo, and a few non street leagal track cars (caterham 7, built out s2000, lotus).

Hugh, every truck/SUV I’ve owned in the last ~25 years has had a spare is on a matching rim full size spare. Lexus LX570, MB g500, Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series, Porsche Cayenne turbo (was a rear mounted add on factory option, standard way the inflatable). My MB e320 4matic also has one. Only ones that didn’t have a spare: Tesla model 3, Tesla model S, Porsche GT3, Porsche turbo, and a few non street leagal track cars (caterham 7, built out s2000, lotus).
The Model 3/ S not having a spare is somewhat understandable since they are essentially city cars. I haven’t bought a spare for my Model Y either, but I will buy one for my Cybertruck. I take it places I’d never take my Model Y.

I wonder how long it’ll be before people will be reselling their factory tires as they upgrade to aftermarket.

Reactions: coleAK and CyberGus
The Model 3/ S not having a spare is somewhat understandable since they are essentially city cars. I haven’t bought a spare for my Model Y either, but I will buy one for my Cybertruck. I take it places I’d never take my Model Y.

I wonder how long it’ll be before people will be reselling their factory tires as they upgrade to aftermarket.
I was in the first delivery batch of model 3 LR AWD back in Sep 2018, I had the OEM tires removed and put winter tires on. I was able to get a 2nd set of model 3 take offs in ~Jan 2019 that I had the OEM MxM4s mounted on for summer. I imagine take offs will be available fairly quickly. I drive all over AK and like you I’m ok not having a spare on the 3.

As for a model 3/S being city cars. I’ve driven both all over most of the paved road system in AK (and my S was a early 240 mile base model) with no superchargers of any type in the state. Obviously super chargers would make the longer stretches easier (as in the ~400 miles from Anchorage to Fairbanks). But completely doable charging at RV sites.