Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crashed Tesla Log Files

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone happen to know if something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/LELink-Bluetooth-Energy-OBD-II-Diagnostic/dp/B00QJRYMFC

and this:
Tesla Model S and Roadster OBD2/CAN adapter cable (Pre-Sept 2015)

along with TM-Spy or some other software, would allow me to pull detailed log files from my Tesla?

Specifically I am trying to find a way to pull any data related to a crash that I was unfortunately involved with this week. Ideally if I can pull GPS, brake or accelerator data and related timestamps for when my car was hit (if there is even some sort of log event that might reveal such a thing, the airbags did not deploy) that would be super helpful in proving that I was not at fault.

The other party is claiming I ran the light even though it was the other way around. They know that no witnesses came forward and the cops didn't give them a ticket for running the red light, so its going to be my word against theirs which would likely result in a 50/50 split regarding fault. I took a photo and a video with my phone just a moment after the crash and you can see that the light is still green in the background of both. Each has a time stamp of when the file was created along with GPS coordinates. If I could show that my car was hit in the same location just seconds before the video starts, then it will hopefully prove that my light was green and I had the right of way and that he ran the red light.

It seems like from all of the searching I did on the forum, the port behind the cubby below the screen and TM-Spy are more about logging what the battery pack is doing. But if anyone has any insight on pulling additional data from the car I would certainly love to know. Thanks!

P.S. Man, I hate this insurance crap and am so pissed about my perfect ride getting banged up. I am most definitely buying a dash cam when my MS is out of the shop in a few weeks..

Does anyone happen to know if something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/LELink-Bluetooth-Energy-OBD-II-Diagnostic/dp/B00QJRYMFC

and this:
Tesla Model S and Roadster OBD2/CAN adapter cable (Pre-Sept 2015)

along with TM-Spy or some other software, would allow me to pull detailed log files from my Tesla?

Specifically I am trying to find a way to pull any data related to a crash that I was unfortunately involved with this week. Ideally if I can pull GPS, brake or accelerator data and related timestamps for when my car was hit (if there is even some sort of log event that might reveal such a thing, the airbags did not deploy) that would be super helpful in proving that I was not at fault.

The other party is claiming I ran the light even though it was the other way around. They know that no witnesses came forward and the cops didn't give them a ticket for running the red light, so its going to be my word against theirs which would likely result in a 50/50 split regarding fault. I took a photo and a video with my phone just a moment after the crash and you can see that the light is still green in the background of both. Each has a time stamp of when the file was created along with GPS coordinates. If I could show that my car was hit in the same location just seconds before the video starts, then it will hopefully prove that my light was green and I had the right of way and that he ran the red light.

It seems like from all of the searching I did on the forum, the port behind the cubby below the screen and TM-Spy are more about logging what the battery pack is doing. But if anyone has any insight on pulling additional data from the car I would certainly love to know. Thanks!

P.S. Man, I hate this insurance crap and am so pissed about my perfect ride getting banged up. I am most definitely buying a dash cam when my MS is out of the shop in a few weeks..

Short answer, no. You can't pull past data, only live data that you could record for later use. Otherwise there are services to log GPS, speed, power usage like TeslaLog. But its not as precise as the internal logs in the car. Unfortunately those are only accessible to Tesla (and a few hackers)...

Thanks everyone, good to know that the OBDII tools can only pull live data and then record it. Makes sense that I couldn't get historical data that way now. I have reached out to Tesla and am waiting to hear back to see if they can provide any log files.

msnow - my thought process is that I have a video that I started recording within a few seconds after the crash. In the video my traffic light is green and the pedestrian walk sign attached to it is flashing red. Therefore, the white flashing version of the pedestrian walk sign, together with my green light, would have been on for maybe 20-30 seconds prior to my video starting. If I can get a log file from my car that shows a timestamp of when my car was hit or the ABS triggered or came to a stop etc. it would prove that I had the right of way. They could still argue that he was in the intersection during his red light but that I needed to let him clear (even though he was not visible to me) but at least I can prove that my light was green which should help with determining fault.

Does it seem like the Blackview dashcam is the best one to get? I want to get one with both front and rear cameras.

msnow - my thought process is that I have a video that I started recording within a few seconds after the crash. In the video my traffic light is green and the pedestrian walk sign attached to it is flashing red. Therefore, the white flashing version of the pedestrian walk sign, together with my green light, would have been on for maybe 20-30 seconds prior to my video starting. If I can get a log file from my car that shows a timestamp of when my car was hit or the ABS triggered or came to a stop etc. it would prove that I had the right of way. They could still argue that he was in the intersection during his red light but that I needed to let him clear (even though he was not visible to me) but at least I can prove that my light was green which should help with determining fault.

I see. You could ask them to tell you the times that those events occurred but there may be time constraints that would make this not doable not to mention Tesla not wanting to be drawn into a potential lawsuit unrelated to their product. Worth a try though.

Even if Tesla did give you the logs, and I doubt they will, they are coded and difficult to interpret but how do you get from speed, brakes and GPS data to whether the light was green or not?

What he needs Tesla to provide is not the raw logs, but rather a letter containing key events and associated information. Perhaps they'd be willing to provide this, as they wouldn't have to divulge anything proprietary.

I just got a call back from my local service center and they said that they only thing they could provide is a timestamp if the airbags went off. Fortunately/unfortunately they didn't deploy. They said that such an event would have triggered a recording in their emergency response system with a timestamp and GPS location which they would have shared with me.

I kinda pushed again about the possibility of getting log files from the black box that would show ABS activity or something but they weren't really willing to get into it. I agree that they don't want to get involved in any sort of legal situation and probably wouldn't want to have to go digging all this stuff up every time somebody gets in an accident. It would just be cool if I could get a letter containing key events like you said.

I wish I would have had a Blackview setup as I just can't think of any other way to place my car getting hit while my light was green. Just ordered one, but hopefully there is not a next time...

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Again, law enforcement can subpoena Tesla for the logs. Are they involved at all?
Thanks apacheguy, the police came to the scene and wrote a report but that is the extent so far. My insurance is saying that they will only go the legal angle with any Tesla logs (as well as trying to get footage from the city cameras placed at the intersection) if this goes to arbitration or court. My hope was to somehow try to get the logs on my own so that we don't have to go that route which would make things easier.