Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a CPO: how much does location of car matter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i know CPOs can be shipped across country, but how much do you consider location of where the car was originally owned, especially if it's from areas that use salt on the road in winters?

Would you pay a premium for a car from the west coast or Florida over a car from the northeast or Midwest? Or does it not matter since Tesla inspects and reconditions the cars so any problems or signs of corrosion would be addressed before delivery?

My CPO came from PA. It had 45000 miles on it. The CPO inspection and reconditioning is very through and you can request the "reconditioning log" from the SC performing the inspection. You can inspect the car during the time of delivery and you will have the option to reject the car. Your deposit can then be applied to another CPO. With the additional 4yr / 50K mile warranty I would not be too worried. My car required a repaint of the front hood, fenders, nose cone and front facia due to excessive stone chips. Tesla paid for this as well as reconditioning the 19" cyclone rims.

Last year when I got my CPO (not shipped) I believe shipping from a nearby location was $750 and from further locations was $1500. If you felt the option package was right for you and desired a car from one of those locations, it might be worth it to you. Of course, there's no guarantee that the car spent all of its time at that location; for all you know it grew up in the snow belt and was only visiting Florida when it got traded in!

for all you know it grew up in the snow belt and was only visiting Florida when it got traded in!

Ha! that's a good point. i'm actually comparing a 2013 S85 from FL and a 2014 S85 from CT. I have the carfaxes on both which show they really did grow up in those states :)

The 2013 has 10K more miles, about 5 months older, and slightly fewer options. the 2014 is only $4K more but has been in CT this whole time.

Ha! that's a good point. i'm actually comparing a 2013 S85 from FL and a 2014 S85 from CT. I have the carfaxes on both which show they really did grow up in those states :)

The 2013 has 10K more miles, about 5 months older, and slightly fewer options. the 2014 is only $4K more but has been in CT this whole time.

I wouldn't worry too much about the car being in CT for two years. If it were four or more winters, maybe, but two is not much wear and tear. Consider that when you go to trade/sell it, the newer car will hold a slight premium over the other one, and more options will make it appealing to more people. Shipping from FL is $1500 -- is it the same from CT?

The two factors that most affect CPO pricing are miles and # of days of service... Are you working with Carol at Tesla?

I wouldn't worry too much about it since you will be getting a CPO warranty. But you might inspect the rear hatch actuators and the upper control arms on the suspension, both of which have reported some issues in winter states. I would hope these sorts of items would be found and repaired during the CPO prep, but it never hurts to check.

The brake rotors might be rusty as well, but that's a universal EV "problem" related to lack of use.

Rusting of the rear lift gate attachment points

Suspension Problem on Model S

That's good to know. How long have you had your CPO? and no issues with it yet?

I took delivery on 4/11/2016 and have logged about 6000 trouble free miles. I have taken a few long distance trips and have used the Superchargers without issue. I installed a HPWC and had the dual charger installed a few weeks past. Best money I have invested since the original purchase.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
My CPO came from PA. It had 45000 miles on it. The CPO inspection and reconditioning is very through and you can request the "reconditioning log" from the SC performing the inspection. You can inspect the car during the time of delivery and you will have the option to reject the car. Your deposit can then be applied to another CPO. With the additional 4yr / 50K mile warranty I would not be too worried. My car required a repaint of the front hood, fenders, nose cone and front facia due to excessive stone chips. Tesla paid for this as well as reconditioning the 19" cyclone rims.

@dabbler,

Great information!
Thanks!

Can I ask what the dual chargers ran you?

Ski