Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused - does current SR+ stereo read/play USB music?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got web articles and comment such as this saying SR+ doesn't support USB audio MP3, FLAC, etc.
Audio Systems for the Model 3 | TeslaTap

But, I've got other comments like this from an SR+ owner that was able to do so. Initially said they didn't but made a separate partition on a Teslacam drive for audio and it worked.
sr+ can't play mp3

These are both pretty recent content but don't line up.

Then again, there's been a lot of changes in the configuration since the EAP inclusion/LR RWD going away. Searching for SR/SR+ specific info on USB audio capability has been difficult, because often you are unable to tell if someone is referring to a Premium interior or not when they mention "M3". In Youtube demos I also can't tell quite tell. People then refer to music loaded on a phone they are playing back from with Bluetooth (for example) as MP3 as well, so I just can't quite find enough data to know.

Can someone with a recent SR+ confirm for me? if it's there did it get added recently in partial premium interiors and that cause some of the confusion?

Thank you!

Yes, Format the card to Fat32 in Windows or Mac, I used my Mac Mini, create a Music folder and move your files to it, what worked for me from ITunes was m4a files, others say MP3 works also. MSR+ btw I use 2 separate SD cards on each USB port, the 64gb is for the TeslaCam and the 256gb holds my music.

Fred

For music playback, the drive (or partition) can be formatted as either ext4 or FAT32.

But to back to OP's question: Can any SR/SR+ owner say definitively that USB music is supported on these models?

Last edited:
For music playback, the drive (or partition) can be formatted as either ext4 or FAT32.

But to back to OP's question: Can any SR/SR+ owner say definitively that USB music is supported on these models?

exactly BluestarE3, I’ve read about the formatting and understand it but just trying to make some sense out of the posted feature set/conflicting info. Thanks!

The sr+ can play music files from usb. 3CCC5751-38D7-4C58-939B-3F9BBB4F6B3B.jpeg
3CCC5751-38D7-4C58-939B-3F9BBB4F6B3B.jpeg
3CCC5751-38D7-4C58-939B-3F9BBB4F6B3B.jpeg

Yes, the USB functions works. I have a USB SSD connected, with two partitions. It works marvelously, with one "problem." The album art only sometimes appears. With any given track, it may appear during playback one time, and not the next.

FWIW, the USB music player is pretty crappy -- it doesn't have gapless playback (so your classical albums and "concept" albums will have pauses between tracks), and it is very bad at playing tracks in the right order, and it's *really* confused by compilation albums, and some versions can't even list folders in alphabetical order, and it gets very confused if you have a lot of tracks. If you put only a few CDs on each USB stick and they're all single-artist albums and none of them require gapless payback, you'll be mostly OK (though the tracks may still be in the wrong order). There are huge threads about the USB music problem over in the Model S UI forum.