Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing four different front camera setups

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to be clear on the different backup cameras:

The camera in pre-AP2 Teslas (actually pre-MS facelift) are:
1006773-00-D
1006773-00-E
1006773-00-F

AP2 Teslas (actually all Teslas since ca July 2016 when MS was facelifted) is:
1061269-00-B
This is the one @HankLloydRight calls "hires".
Btw the cmos sensor in the "AP2"-buc is OmniVision OV10635.
Not sure about the old ones

Question for those of you in the know:
Would it be possible to use an aftermarket 1080p camera as a replacement for the OEM unit? I mean, given the right connector type (easy) and the right camera dimensions (hard) - would it be plug and play, or would the SW reject it?

Reason I ask is that the different OEM revisions seem to be fully interchangeable plug and play. Question is if this applies for any backup camera type... Like this for instance (random find, haven't checked the connector yet)

Not likely. The cameras use non-standard signaling and it's really not so easy getting the right connectors.

Also, as I said above, what do you need 1080p for in a back up camera?
Are you and Artsci making good progress on getting a good switch fabricated (and validating the right connectors)?
My post office just delivered my Tesla $39 camera - so I'm IN for this mod.
I'm going silent for the next month - traveling. Hope to be able to place order for switch et al then.

It's all in @artsci's hands to get the boards fabricated.

I'm just helping out because I like Rick and all his fabulous mods.
I am back from my travels and wanted an update on this switch issue. I tried to contact you guys through some other searches - I'm not so good at perusing the forums - as I had lost this link. I want to buy your switch, print out the install instructions, and acquire the cables. I already bought the camera.