Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado to Dollywood (Pigeon Forge, TN) and then Loudon, TN, and then Tail of the Dragon…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In October I've got a flight for my wife and daughter, but I'm really excited about going out there in my LR M3 (I love road trips and have done over 20k in my Tesla over the last 3 years, with CCS, Tesla SC, and L2 chargers throughout Western US and Texas). Of course, I've used Plugshare/ABRP, and all that - but I always love to get people's experiences here. Here is what I'm planning so far.
  1. Denver to Nashville Airport - pick up family
  2. NA to Dollywood. Charge in the Dollywood resort (where we are staying) - I know there is just one charger there, but I also know there are not a lot of EVs so hopeful I can use it.
  3. After a few days, we're going to a friend's house in Loudon in Tellico Village where I'll charge on their 120v.
  4. While there, we plan to take a drive on the Tail of the Dragon. There is a 16kW charger there to top off…
The main thing I've got very little info about is the Tail. Thoughts?

Have you done 120 Volt charging before? You will need a few days to reach high percentage charge level. A dryer outlet would be 4x faster.
Ha - yes. I'll have about 2-3 days sitting there before I go on that drive. And frankly, I don't need 100%. I'll probably get to my friend's house at around 67%. Theoretically with our plans, I can go the whole week without charging, but I'll be happy to get to 80%. The 120v is not about need, it's just about nicety.

Sorry - I meant as far as charging what I see on plugshare at a couple places.
OK so doing a bit more planning, it seems like going from my friend's house - doing the tail and then back is about 40%. So that's fine. I could stop and charge at the end for a bit while we eat, or I could not and be fine coming back.

Loudon area is a charging desert for fast charging so I like having buffer, but don't need it.

In October I've got a flight for my wife and daughter, but I'm really excited about going out there in my LR M3 (I love road trips and have done over 20k in my Tesla over the last 3 years, with CCS, Tesla SC, and L2 chargers throughout Western US and Texas). Of course, I've used Plugshare/ABRP, and all that - but I always love to get people's experiences here. Here is what I'm planning so far.
  1. Denver to Nashville Airport - pick up family
  2. NA to Dollywood. Charge in the Dollywood resort (where we are staying) - I know there is just one charger there, but I also know there are not a lot of EVs so hopeful I can use it.
  3. After a few days, we're going to a friend's house in Loudon in Tellico Village where I'll charge on their 120v.
  4. While there, we plan to take a drive on the Tail of the Dragon. There is a 16kW charger there to top off…
The main thing I've got very little info about is the Tail. Thoughts?
When you come back from Dollywood you can stop at the Superchargers off the Campbell Station Rd exit. They’re in the shopping center with Target. You can charge and walk over to Starbucks for coffee.

Reactions: IronCoffee_Max
I'm in the middle of this road trip now. I am in Pigeon Forge until Monday, and then driving to Loudon to stay at a friend's. The drive was uneventful except how much I enjoyed it as always. My one issue has been the plastic skid plate that goes to the right part of my bumper detached - not sure when. The plastic thing that keeps it connected to the bumper is gone on the right side, so it's just sitting about an inch below the bumper. I'm going to try and "fix it" in the next couple days. Thinking maybe some double sided duct/gorilla tape if I can find some at Walmart or Home Depot.

Thankful for the hotel charger I got in Kirkwood, MO and the same here in Pigeon Forge. Usually I find them ICEd, but this trip they were open.