Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNBC Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I feel like CNBC distorts the truth about Tesla as a way of punishing them for not buying tv ads. Today, Phil Lebeau said that Tesla has 2,100 fast chargers in the US out of a total of 41,000. Was he right?

I think his numbers are actually high. I haven't looked at the database in a few months, but if I recall correctly, it was a bit over 1,000 supercharger LOCATIONS a few months ago in USA and something over 2700 around the globe. I guess I will go look again.

I didn't see his comments, so what was his point? Did he think the number was too low, or what?
EDIT: oh, and what is that 41,000 number he was referring to? Where did that come from?

Last edited:
I think his numbers are actually high. I have looked at the database in a few months, but if I recall correctly, it was a bit over 1,000 supercharger LOCATIONS a few months ago in USA and something over 2700 around the globe. I guess I will go look again.

I didn't see his comments, so what was his point? Did he think the number was too low, or what?
He was saying that Tesla only had 5% of the Fast Chargers in the US. That seemed low to me.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
He was saying that Tesla only had 5% of the Fast Chargers in the US. That seemed low to me.
Ok, I see., but I don't get his point. That might be a correct number, I don't know because there are a LOT of Level 2 and destination chargers out there. I would say it is not really that relevant since "at this time" no other cars are going to use the Tesla SCs but a Tesla, yet Tesla can use most of those other 95% chargers he is referring too. Also, those other chargers are not as high of a rate as the Tesla SCs. I'd say it is more relevant to compare the number of fast chargers to the number of Teslas out there to use them, and their locations so it would be convenient and readily available to Tesla people that want to use them.

Maybe some other smart person on here gets his point.

I don't follow the EVGO, Chargepoint, etc, so maybe there are some as fast or faster, but that has not been my experience in the past by going to Chargepoint locations. Someone on here is going to know better than me about that capability.

So let's assume he is right. How is that a negative for Tesla if a Tesla car is able to use those other superchargers in addition to the ones that Tesla has? I'm certainly missing his point in making that statement. Sounds more like a disadvantage to other EVs since they all have to share those chargers among various manufacturers. What am I missing here? :)

Sometimes I feel like CNBC distorts the truth about Tesla as a way of punishing them for not buying tv ads. Today, Phil Lebeau said that Tesla has 2,100 fast chargers in the US out of a total of 41,000. Was he right?
Sometimes? Like everyone else CNBC slants the story to feature the guest that is appearing or the narrative they want to convey. Put on your critical thinking hat the same way you would when you watch ANY TV news. Their goal is to sell advertising time to their sponsors, not necessarily to give you actionable information.
I've caught Phil Lebeau misstating easily verifiable numbers on many occasions. Their 'Chief Economist' Steve Liesman should stick to fly fishing and playing guitar rather than economics. I'll stick with information from the traders they put on as they have actual skin in the game. Careful there too as they like to talk their own book.

Full disclosure: I made bank on the BLNK and CHPT spacs....cashed out but moved back in too soon. I am holding now as I think they will be players in the general EV expansion trends.

• Love
Reactions: Silicon Desert