Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charger not charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed my car reported not getting power after plugging the charger in. Reset wall connector, at first it flashed orange 4 times. Which I believe is ground problem. Nothing appears to be wrong with the ground connection. After a while the charger is now showing green (we didn't change anything!). The car is still complaining it is not getting power however. The button on the charge plug doesn't work either. Resetting the wall connector - by pushing the reset button and cycling the breaker hasn't changed anything. It is still showing green. Any ideas?

10amp charger seems to work fine, now charging at 10 amps. Tesla support seemed confused, thought I should be seeing a red light or something. They say they cannot see any problems remotely - which doesn't surprise me. They said that they would email me.

I presently have what appears to be the same problem - except it works intermittently or at times displays the red fault LED. Mine is without doubt a fault with the 3Ø HPWC since I can use my Chargepoint wall connector to charge normally -albeit at 7kW.

I also rang Tesla technical support & they said to contact the installer. They do many installations for Tesla in Sydney & have replacement units if it cannot be easily fixed.

I have the new 3Ø HPWC also only on a single phase and had the same problem. I went to plug the car in and noticed the button on the charge cable wasn't opening the charge port door so I used the remote and after I plugged in the HPWC switched to solid red. I did a reset of the HPWC via the reset buitton (long hold) and after the reboot it went back to solid red. I then did a hard power cycle of the HPWC and it booted up and started charging fine. That was maybe 2 weeks ago and it was right after the 17.10.42 OTA and I thought that perhaps the car was at fault and was in need of a post update reboot and promptly forgot about it... it hasn't happened since.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue heaven
10amp charger seems to work fine, now charging at 10 amps. Tesla support seemed confused, thought I should be seeing a red light or something. They say they cannot see any problems remotely - which doesn't surprise me. They said that they would email me.

Give the local guys a call - I had exactly the same problem with mine - no obvious error on the charger but the car said 'check charger power'. It was intermittent and a little difficult to see because my charger is connected to a controlled load contactor that only energises at 11pm. In any case, plugging into the 10A charger and the car would immediately start charging.

This was with the new 3ø charger but only connected to a single ø. (My avatar is my original 1ø charger from when the car was first delivered. It was upgraded to a new unit once they were available as I had ordered dual chargers with the car)

There were no error lights of any kind.

I called the Melbourne Service centre, and they seemed puzzled as to what is wrong. Reading between the lines, the required people may be on leave due to the long Easter weekend. It is very inconsiderate of the HPWC to die right before a long weekend. I need to have a stern talk to my HPWC.

My current theory - I believe that there are fuses in the HPWC, and maybe one of them has blown (no I have no idea why it would blow the fuse and not trip the circuit breaker - also no thunderstorms or anything when it died). I can't see any fuses without pulling it apart, and don't particular want to do that. In particular, I have tested the main relay inside the HPWC with a multi-meter, and found the neutral input on the relay appears to be not connected to the neutral input to the HPWC, while the active connection is fine. Which would explain why I sometimes get 4 flashes indicating a ground problem.

Ok, today after pulling the lid of the HPWC, and concluding there is definitely a fault in the HPWC, it magically starts working again. Or at least it is showing the right signs so far. Will be interesting to see if it charges (scheduled for 10pm) The only thing I hate more then something that mysteriously fails is having it mysteriously come good again - makes me nervous it is going to mysteriously fail again without warning.

Is it possible that problem is that the input mains power voltage was too low? Seems to be 250V now, was 247V after first noticing problems, and it dropped to around 232V later on when I was charging on 10Amps (as measured by plugging multimeter into power point). I would have thought 247V would be fine, but maybe 232V is too low?

Could be a voltage issue. I had trouble at a new destination charger in Tasmania. Single phase but at 32A would drop voltage to 210 and the car would kill the connection.
At 16A it would drop the voltage to about 228 and the car would stay connected (albeit slowly).
They are on a battery system, bit of a complicated setup.