Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to Carpool Lanes on 101 / San Bruno to 237 in Mt. View

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Saw on the news just now that they have broken ground on a big project to change Hwy 101's carpool lanes. Project from San Bruno north on the Peninsula to Rt. 237 south in Mt. View for 32 miles each way. Completion date expected to be 2022. They will be widening some car pool lanes and converting the carpool lanes to toll. Need to have 3 people in the car to use or you pay for each person less as I understand it. They hope this will help with congestion and force drivers to carpool with more people. This is going to be one big headache for drivers with construction starting. So single HOV stickered cars as I understand it will pay a toll for 2 people each time they use the stretch for example.

Officials break ground on 101 Express Lanes project

Have to say I'm doubtful how successful this will be. My husband will sometimes pick up a coworker to travel with him (his car was in an accident and he's waiting for his Xpel to be replaced before putting on his new HOV stickers), but it's not easy to coordinate schedules all the time even to get one person extra let alone 2. So if people don't have 3, they pay a toll but it doesn't do anything to get the car out of the carpool lane. And if they want to be cheap about it it will force them into the regular lanes which are being used by people who don't or can't meet carpool lane requirements.

Last edited:
101 carpool lane project - 1.jpg

Guess my husband might look into FasTrak. We've been aware that single drivers with HOV stickers might go away at some point. Still should be usable on some carpool lanes around the area for a while. In fact my Model 3 stickers, Lavender, expire in 2022, hmm interesting date. But one of the reasons I want to make sure the darn things come off cleanly off of my beatiful car if the time comes when they aren't useful.