Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo at last!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doghousePVD

My grandfather’s car
Dec 3, 2018
New England, USA
After three years, I finally had my first successful Chademo charge on my 2018 100D.

I have a bag of dongles, but still worried about being in the sticks and unable to charge. I often tow a travel trailer, so range is limited: best case 100-1% is a about 150 miles. Longest run was 154 miles.

My first four attempts bombed: one charger crashed at 2-3 minutes but didn’t charge me anything. I was right next to a SC, so I gave up. Second attempt - machine was completely dead, no power. Next time could not activate, and poor cell connectivity could not contact CS. Next , in Texas, all ICED with four pickups.

The huge increase of SC made the issue pretty much irrelevant, but I still wanted to know if it even would work. My out of the way destination in Quebec had a Chademo, while PlugShare and my destination had inconclusive info on availability.

Success! 48.5 kW. Turned out there was also an J1772 overnight charger available nearby, so it wasn’t critical.

I later tried a another Chademo. Not simple, one authorizing app didn’t work, so had to load yet another app with dollars. Finally worked at 34 kW, so basically a success.

Conclusion: while my free SC is better, nice to know my adapter works.

Mildly annoyed I still have about $5 orphaned in unlikely-to-be-used again apps, though.

Info for Safari Condo trailers: St Frederic is the factory. There is J1772 (not free) across the street at the town hall. There is free 5-15 available at Safari Condo. Can park/camp overnight at town hall. The nearest campground is Camping St Josef de Beauce, very nice but only 30A.

I have a 2018 July MX with free unlimited supercharging but sometimes I don't feel like driving to a supercharger and sitting- would rather do something useful. There is an EV Go charging station at a local Raleys and an electrify America charger at a local Safeway and If I go out to shop, it is convenient to use my Chademo adaptor and pick up a few kW while I am shopping. My first Chademo charger never worked despite firmware upgrades so I get a warranty replacement and it works great. I, too, suffer from range anxiety.