Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adaptors, firmware, revisions and magic incantations...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please stick with me if this is a bit rambling, but I'm trying to straighten this out in my head as best as I can whilst typing this.

A bit of background - I'm UK-based, so this all revolves around the type-2 CHAdeMO adaptor rather than the Tesla-connector type adaptor, and I have a ~September 2017 Model S 75D, so facelift, AP2.0, BTX5 350v battery.

At purchase, I ordered a CHAdeMO adaptor with the car as well as the various IEC-60309 ("commando") adaptors for the EU mobile connector as I'm often on industrial sites where these things are reasonably common.

Everything works perfectly with my car.

For the past couple of days I've had a Model X loaner (AP2.0, facelift, 400v battery, ~May 2017 build) whilst mine was having its Mothercare interior fixed (it was full of rattles). Superlative descriptions of the Model X aside, I held on to my CHAdeMO adaptor so that I could quick-charge the P90DL X as I was both on holiday and had a list of people who wanted to see the Model X, and I live a good hour or so from the nearest Supercharger, but minutes from assorted CHAdeMO stations.

My CHAdeMO adaptor really did not like the X: initially I thought it was one of the <sarcasm>notoriously reliable</sarcasm> Ecotricity CHAdeMO stations up to its usual tricks, but closer investigation showed something else. As soon as you plugged in the CHAdeMO adaptor to the car, a second or so later you'd hear the solid CLUNK of the charge port lock engaging, but then a couple of seconds after that, the IC would give a triple-beep error and display a "/!\ Charging cable is unlatched. Check charging cable" error.

No amount of wiggling, coercing, fettling, pushing, pulling or indeed swearing would clear this message. The mobile connector worked, generic type-2 to type-2 worked, my Tesla HPWC at home worked, just not this effing CHAdeMO adaptor. Indeed, checking it with my car when I returned the X produced a nice, civilised "Ready to charge" message on my car. I don't know about superchargers - as I mentioned they were for all intents and purposes out of range for me.

What's even more frustrating is that I've used this adaptor on two other Model Xs and an older pre-facelift Model S with no issues, hence I never thought to check it on the loaner before I drove off.

I (think I) know there are at least two hardware revisions of the CHAdeMO adaptor - one for the pre-facelift cars that won't work correctly with the facelift variety, and a later revision that seems to work with both. AFAIK mine is the later version.

I (think I) also know there are various firmware revisions for the adaptor. Initially I thought these things were just a CHAdeMO to Type-2 Mode-4 adaptor, but given that they have firmware and therefore some intelligence built in, I'm curious as to what combinations work with which vehicles.

Given that I do loan out this thing on occasion, is there a way of finding out without having to physically attach the adaptor and watch out for the "Hahaha Nope!" error?

Just for completeness, I did also check the charge port and adaptor plug for obstructions, damage etc - there was none visible. The service centre incidentally had no idea what would be causing it, especially given my adaptor was programmed up with the latest firmware that was available at purchase time, which was a good few months after the production of both my Model S and the loaner X.

Anyone had a similar experience and / or have a workaround for these shenanigans?

Huh, so it's actually a flag that has to be set on the car to allow non-Supercharger DC charging? I never knew that... Every day is a school day - cheers!
I don’t think that’s correct. When I bought my CHAdeMO adapter in 2014 I just plugged it in and it worked. Same for everyone else I know who has bought a CHAdeMO or borrowed one. The exception would be an early 60 that did not have supercharging enabled. Those cars couldn’t do any DC charging until the supercharging option was enabled, or if an owner just wanted CHAdeMO and not supercharging (strange, I know) there was a charge for that which was less than the $2500 to enable supercharging after purchase.

Please stick with me if this is a bit rambling, but I'm trying to straighten this out in my head as best as I can whilst typing this.

A bit of background - I'm UK-based, so this all revolves around the type-2 CHAdeMO adaptor rather than the Tesla-connector type adaptor, and I have a ~September 2017 Model S 75D, so facelift, AP2.0, BTX5 350v battery.

At purchase, I ordered a CHAdeMO adaptor with the car as well as the various IEC-60309 ("commando") adaptors for the EU mobile connector as I'm often on industrial sites where these things are reasonably common.

Everything works perfectly with my car.

For the past couple of days I've had a Model X loaner (AP2.0, facelift, 400v battery, ~May 2017 build) whilst mine was having its Mothercare interior fixed (it was full of rattles). Superlative descriptions of the Model X aside, I held on to my CHAdeMO adaptor so that I could quick-charge the P90DL X as I was both on holiday and had a list of people who wanted to see the Model X, and I live a good hour or so from the nearest Supercharger, but minutes from assorted CHAdeMO stations.

My CHAdeMO adaptor really did not like the X: initially I thought it was one of the <sarcasm>notoriously reliable</sarcasm> Ecotricity CHAdeMO stations up to its usual tricks, but closer investigation showed something else. As soon as you plugged in the CHAdeMO adaptor to the car, a second or so later you'd hear the solid CLUNK of the charge port lock engaging, but then a couple of seconds after that, the IC would give a triple-beep error and display a "/!\ Charging cable is unlatched. Check charging cable" error.

No amount of wiggling, coercing, fettling, pushing, pulling or indeed swearing would clear this message. The mobile connector worked, generic type-2 to type-2 worked, my Tesla HPWC at home worked, just not this effing CHAdeMO adaptor. Indeed, checking it with my car when I returned the X produced a nice, civilised "Ready to charge" message on my car. I don't know about superchargers - as I mentioned they were for all intents and purposes out of range for me.

What's even more frustrating is that I've used this adaptor on two other Model Xs and an older pre-facelift Model S with no issues, hence I never thought to check it on the loaner before I drove off.

I (think I) know there are at least two hardware revisions of the CHAdeMO adaptor - one for the pre-facelift cars that won't work correctly with the facelift variety, and a later revision that seems to work with both. AFAIK mine is the later version.

I (think I) also know there are various firmware revisions for the adaptor. Initially I thought these things were just a CHAdeMO to Type-2 Mode-4 adaptor, but given that they have firmware and therefore some intelligence built in, I'm curious as to what combinations work with which vehicles.

Given that I do loan out this thing on occasion, is there a way of finding out without having to physically attach the adaptor and watch out for the "Hahaha Nope!" error?

Just for completeness, I did also check the charge port and adaptor plug for obstructions, damage etc - there was none visible. The service centre incidentally had no idea what would be causing it, especially given my adaptor was programmed up with the latest firmware that was available at purchase time, which was a good few months after the production of both my Model S and the loaner X.

Anyone had a similar experience and / or have a workaround for these shenanigans?

If you have the time and you may want to watch James Cooke's vlogs on his experience with CHAdeMO at ECOtricity youtube , search for

james cooke chademo

should bring up 3 vlogs

Winston.

If you have the time and you may want to watch James Cooke's vlogs on his experience with CHAdeMO at ECOtricity...
Yeah - have seen those... The problem isn't with the Ecotricity chargers in this instance, but with the adaptor. I tried it with four different Ecotricity chargers, a Shell Recharge station and a Polar station, all with the same results. It is definitely something up with either the car or a combination of my car and the adaptor, as that adaptor works fine with all of the above stations and my car (and a subset of those and a friend's car) - just not that X loaner...

Ho hum...