Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cautionary Tale of reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteelClouds

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2021
CA
Tesla has some interesting fine print in their contracts. Selling reservations may get your order cancelled and you banned for life from buying a new tesla.

From Autoevolution

"Tesla is not afraid to use that leverage to keep its customers disciplined. It’s not always working as intended, and sometimes it gives false positives, but it is what it is. We’ve talked in the past about the very active “Tesla Loss Prevention Team” sending letters to customers who they fought are in violation of that pesky clause. Not only do the customers risk having their pending orders canceled, but they are also prevented from placing new orders in the future. Yes, Tesla can afford that. Their backlog stretches for months.

We’re unsure what triggers the loss prevention team to attach the “reseller” badge to a customer. Until now, it was thought buying and selling several Teslas would qualify. How many are too many is not clear. Things are probably down to whoever takes the decision and his state of mind at the time. In the case of Frederick Foley Rousseau, this happened when they tried to upgrade two Model 3s (his and his wife’s) to Model Y.

“Me and my wife had 2 Model 3 2021,” said Frederick on Twitter. “I sold mine and ordered a Model Y. Because I was hesitating between an LR and a Performance, I ordered both, having in mind that my wife would probably like to upgrade too. Tonight while dining at restaurants with my wife, I get called by a Tesla rep saying our orders got canceled because they think we are resellers, which is not the case.”

Tesla abruptly cancels customer's order - no recourse of accusation of being a "reseller"

Reactions: Stuart Watson
Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out. Even odds for me on three scenarios. One, Tesla gives a big public apology. Two, it turns out the owner quoted has one of his reservations for sale for a premium someplace with his email visible. Three, both of the above happen.

My personal view is you paid 250 dollars knowing it was non-refundable and you did it anyways.. thats on you.. not up to Tesla to "fix". My Caddie reservation is 100 and is refundable.. that was a choice GM made and I'm glad they did.. my Y order is not.. I made that choice and I can live with it.. 250 dollars against a 65K car order is small potatoes. And its even less if you stretch that 250 over the 6months plus to get the car or not.

Tesla has a whole team dedicated to catching these and cancelling orders. Having a public forum with this could just aid them in doing so
A dedicated team wouldn't have difficulties in finding reservation offers in this forum anyway. However, these reservation threads clutter the forum and make it harder for a normal user to find used cars. Just a thought.