Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot unlock MXP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have owned this MXP for exactly a year. I have not received any warning of the 12V battery running low or anything abnormal. I tried to get in the car yesterday and it would not unlock. I tried the App, key card as well as the key fob. (even changed the fob battery) with no luck.

Tesla cannot get out for a week so i am stuck without a vehicle until they are able to get out to look at it.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I cannot understand how this could happen and it won't unlock. On the app, you can flash the lights, horn and turn on AC but it will not unlock or allow you to open doors.

I guess I am the only one that has experienced this. Not happy that something like this can happen. Just glad i wasn't on a trip when this occurred.

I'm hopeful this is an easy fix as it is the first time in 3 years i have started questioning my support in Tesla vehicles.

Hi all,

I have owned this MXP for exactly a year. I have not received any warning of the 12V battery running low or anything abnormal. I tried to get in the car yesterday and it would not unlock. I tried the App, key card as well as the key fob. (even changed the fob battery) with no luck.

Tesla cannot get out for a week so i am stuck without a vehicle until they are able to get out to look at it.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I cannot understand how this could happen and it won't unlock. On the app, you can flash the lights, horn and turn on AC but it will not unlock or allow you to open doors.
Did you contact Emergency Road Service or did you just set up a service appointment? ERS usually calls you back within minutes, and responds on site quickly. You can use them even if the vehicle is in your own driveway.

Last edited:
Reactions: henderrj
Did you recently update software? I had same issue (stuck in "car off" mode) with 2023 MXP after installing 2023.20.7 last week. Unable to lock/unlock but all other electrics working with Tesla app. Reached out to Tesla via app message. SC pushed 2023.20.7 again while sentry mode's off then it worked. Hope this helps.

Did you recently update software? I had same issue (stuck in "car off" mode) with 2023 MXP after installing 2023.20.7 last week. Unable to lock/unlock but all other electrics working with Tesla app. Reached out to Tesla via app message. SC pushed 2023.20.7 again while sentry mode's off then it worked. Hope this helps.
Very interesting, thanks for this info. Checking with SC to see if they can try the same thing.

Hi all,

Can you roll the windows down?

I have a 23 MXP and had this same issue after applying the latest software update. I called afterhours support and they tried a few things and none worked so they had mine towed to the service center. Service Center had it fixed in 30 min and said that one of the modules failed a firmware update and all they had to do was re-apply the firmware and that took care of it. So, my advice to you is to open a service ticket and then call your local service center and ask them to check it out remotely and see if they can push the fix. Don't rely on the general service number to fix this, it has to be your service center. They told me I could have avoided the tow if I called first and had them try.

Hope that helps you!

Doesn't the X at least have the emergency unlock for the frunk?

Is the car answering the app at all?

If it is the 12V battery, then pop the frunk, check the battery and replace it or charge it if dead.
The OP mentioned the app responds and would turn on the A/C.

Not sure when the car was made, but if newer it might have the small 16V Li-Ion battery which they switched over to in early 2022.

I have a 23 MXP and had this same issue after applying the latest software update. I called afterhours support and they tried a few things and none worked so they had mine towed to the service center. Service Center had it fixed in 30 min and said that one of the modules failed a firmware update and all they had to do was re-apply the firmware and that took care of it. So, my advice to you is to open a service ticket and then call your local service center and ask them to check it out remotely and see if they can push the fix. Don't rely on the general service number to fix this, it has to be your service center. They told me I could have avoided the tow if I called first and had them try.

Hope that helps you!
This is also great info. I messaged my SC and they said they are not able to push firmware updates. They are absolutely clueless!! I even shared your message and they said that it cant be done. Guess i wait for mobile service on the 11th to fix.

I've really had it with the incompetence from Tesla. Especially with an issue that seems to be such an easy fix and doesnt require anything other than an over the air update.

This is also great info. I messaged my SC and they said they are not able to push firmware updates. They are absolutely clueless!! I even shared your message and they said that it cant be done. Guess i wait for mobile service on the 11th to fix.

I've really had it with the incompetence from Tesla. Especially with an issue that seems to be such an easy fix and doesnt require anything other than an over the air update.
Is the car still responding to your app? If not, and the 12V battery is dead, that may be why they can't push an update.

I'm with @Bocks79 then, sounds like a single module is stuck. Only thing that I can think of is to maybe pull the battery to let it reset. But that can have its associated issues.

Also, attempt to let the car go into a deep sleep, disable sentry mode and everything else that may make the car stay awake. A good night's sleep often does fix things (it does power down a number of circuits, it may get the right one.)

If you are still able to talk to the car, you can probably rule out the 12V battery.

I was able to vent the windows and used a coat hanger to release the emergency door release. Car won't go into drive or the windows won't roll up or down. Still cant lock or unlock the doors on the app, key fob or card. Car will open from the inside if i am sitting in it. Car is showing "car off".

Makes me think more and more that if tesla would just send me a new update, this would fix itself.

I was able to vent the windows and used a coat hanger to release the emergency door release. Car won't go into drive or the windows won't roll up or down. Still cant lock or unlock the doors on the app, key fob or card. Car will open from the inside if i am sitting in it. Car is showing "car off".

Makes me think more and more that if tesla would just send me a new update, this would fix itself.
Will it drive? May just carry it to a Service Center and say pretty please, along with a method to take you home if they can't get to it.

Of course, if you want to be a $ss, make sure you park it in an area that requires them to move it after the door closes and locks. ;)

My 2018 would not go into drive or reverse at the store during the 1st week of ownership. They towed it the service center and the guy got it running in 10 minutes. He opened the frunk and just detached the 1st responder wire which kills power to all systems, wait a few minutes, and reattached the wire. The problem never reoccurred in the remaining 3 years I owned the car.

If you have Tesla Rangers in your area maybe one of them can do that for you.