Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I keep my car "healthy" w/out Teslafi, Tessie etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like to dig a little into the numbers of my MYLR but I feel like the car offers me sufficient data,, however I want to optimize my cars battery life etc. and didn't know if I needed a 3rd party app to do so? Read lots of great things about Tessie, Teslafi etc. and wondering what I may be missing? I have a Gen 3 Tesla Level 2 charger at home. Charge between 55% - 80% daily. 95% of charging is at home and rest is supercharger. Feel like I am doing what Tesla wants with regards to battery maintenance but if I am missing something I would like to know. Thanks

You don't need any app to keep your car and battery healthy. Various apps help understand what's going on by providing additional data that the car itself might not provide. But you can leave that to those that understand what's really going on and can provide guidelines. AAKEE is an example here on the forums, you can follow his guidance if you want. There are plenty of threads already on that topic.

I have been using data logging services of various kind on my Tesla vehicles for almost 10 years now. It is fun and helps understand what the car does in different conditions. While this is fun has it's purpose, I doesn't give you special insight that would help you keep the battery healthier than without that info.
There are a few things that accelerate battery degradation that have been discussed plenty, but they are a result of using the car as intended. If you drive through the desert in the summer and use superchargers, your battery will be hotter. Seeing a bunch of numbers doesn't change it. If you live in Arizona or Nevada or New Mexico, that's just what it is. You only have the choice to just not driving your car.

Reactions: RazorB and GHammer
If anything, one could make the argument that those services can make the car less "healthy".

While they may provide useful reporting, they also have the potential to keep the car awake, thus preventing it from entering a low-power state, thus increasing the number of wasted cycles over time.

I don't have any concrete numbers, but a Tesla that never sleeps will probably waste 10% or more of it's battery cycles over the lifetime of the vehicle.

I'm also not saying that these third-party services *do* keep the car awake, but some of them certainly have in the past. I'm one that would prefer not to use any of them.

Reactions: David99
I love Teslafi but just because I love all the fun stats it gives me. I figure if tesla can tell where my car was on Jan 7, 2021, and if it was driven, then I should have access to that info too.

It is fun at times to look and see how outside conditions or speed affect the same drive over all 4 seasons, but none of that has anything to do with keeping the car in top health.

I used a spare laptop to run Teslamate. There's also a bunch of posts on the site about it if you're interested in looking at screenshots of what it can do.

I like it because it's open source and the data stays on my system (plus I don't have to pay anyone for it).

Teslafi will not keep you car awake unless you use it to wake the car. Two months in storage, I averaged about 0.08 miles of RR per hour.

The battery check is useful to compare against other cars.

I have SMT, but don't think most need it on the 2021+ MS unless you are really concerned about pack or other component failure.

I recommend Teslafi.

Recurrent is useful and free, but does not really add anything that Teslafi and SMT don't have.

Reactions: David99
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: I'm using Tessie right now because it's interesting to review the additional information it exposes to the average user. I also set Tessie so it doesn't wake up the car when I launch the app and thus it doesn't keep the car awake, which would reduce battery charge for no good reason. So, when I want to check in on the car without launching the Tesla app, which seems to wake up the car to talk to it, I use Tessie instead.

Teslafi will not keep you car awake unless you use it to wake the car. Two months in storage, I averaged about 0.08 miles of RR per hour.

The battery check is useful to compare against other cars.

I have SMT, but don't think most need it on the 2021+ MS unless you are really concerned about pack or other component failure.

I recommend Teslafi.

Recurrent is useful and free, but does not really add anything that Teslafi and SMT don't have.
I’m testing out the Stats app. It also does not wake the car.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne