Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caliper color on midnight silver MS, yellow or red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jackk you should confirm with your mobile guy whether you can actually pick the shade of yellow/use @Lukez paint code. For $100/caliper and mobile service, I’m thinking they are going to use rattle cans, which means you can’t specify a paint code. Also assume they’ll mask and spray in place since they can’t realistically remove the calipers to thoroughly clean. Would be a great deal/price if they do remove as well as mix specific paint for you though!

I am not 100% sure, but I think your assumption is 90% accurate. :) I was initially quoted 125 per caliper, but somehow he was able to lower it to 100 since our locations are not far from each other. I will keep this thread updated once it's done. I see people spend 1k on such projects and it does look nicer, it's just I cannot justify the cost at this point.

I am not 100% sure, but I think your assumption is 90% accurate. :) I was initially quoted 125 per caliper, but somehow he was able to lower it to 100 since our locations are not far from each other. I will keep this thread updated once it's done. I see people spend 1k on such projects and it does look nicer, it's just I cannot justify the cost at this point.
Agree with you regarding the cost. $400 is also about my threshold for changing the color of my calipers. I’d love to take it all apart to clean and paint myself, but just don’t have the time or patience like I used to so paint-in-place may have to suffice.

@jackk you should confirm with your mobile guy whether you can actually pick the shade of yellow/use @Lukez paint code. For $100/caliper and mobile service, I’m thinking they are going to use rattle cans, which means you can’t specify a paint code. Also assume they’ll mask and spray in place since they can’t realistically remove the calipers to thoroughly clean. Would be a great deal/price if they do remove as well as mix specific paint for you though!

The code I gave for the Porsche speed yellow is for rattle cans. I would hope the mobile guy is using epoxy tho? Like G2 caliper paint ?

I vote for red and choose for my own car, red from Foliatec.
MTAFGC5
34UIuqs

34UIuqs.jpg
MTAFGC5.jpg

The code I gave for the Porsche speed yellow is for rattle cans. I would hope the mobile guy is using epoxy tho? Like G2 caliper paint ?

Just confirmed that he's using the same high grade paint as comes on Bimmer and Porsche. it's not epoxy though. I like that for 50 extra, you can have custom "yellow" paint made as well. But for me, I am actually fine with porsche yellow. :)

I have painted my calipers Yellow on a Black car and Red on Black and Orange on Gray and my fav is Orange! It's so different, but it's a personal preference. I would look at it like this: are you going to accent the car with a wrap or dip or the mirrors or anything? If so, red has the most options to match. Yellow limits what you can do IMO. Either way you have to live with it. Maybe wrap them and go crazy!

I have painted my calipers Yellow on a Black car and Red on Black and Orange on Gray and my fav is Orange! It's so different, but it's a personal preference. I would look at it like this: are you going to accent the car with a wrap or dip or the mirrors or anything? If so, red has the most options to match. Yellow limits what you can do IMO. Either way you have to live with it. Maybe wrap them and go crazy!

I am thinking about chrome delete, not a big fan of wrapping though.

But Orange seems interesting. Got a photo?

Update: Got it painted last week. Done in about 4 hours. Turns out good, little lighter than I thought, but definitely better than the original black. :)
4 hours! Did you just do one coat? Mine were a 12 hour job putting the car on jack stands and everything, but I did 2 coats and let them dry for 3 hours between coats. I haven't gotten my decals on yet because my first set disappeared and I couldn't find them on paint day.
45610863854_affc7f6a33_k.jpg

4 hours! Did you just do one coat? Mine were a 12 hour job putting the car on jack stands and everything, but I did 2 coats and let them dry for 3 hours between coats. I haven't gotten my decals on yet because my first set disappeared and I couldn't find them on paint day.
View attachment 365766

I was not on the spot but I believe just one coat.

How much did it cost you? For a job like you described, my quote was like 800 - 1200. So I just passed.

How much did it cost you? For a job like you described, my quote was like 800 - 1200. So I just passed.
Mine was DIY, so maybe total cost for paint, degreaser, metal prep, etc was $50? Another $10 for decals? Up close you can certainly tell it wasn't a professional job. There are a few drip marks and my masking wasn't perfect. But unless you squat down and stick your nose in there, you can't tell.

Update: Got it painted last week. Done in about 4 hours. Turns out good, little lighter than I thought, but definitely better than the original black. :)
Can you share the person’s info?

Thanks,