Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California: White Clean Air sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: gambit48
What happened in the past? Some old sticker (yellow?) expired and the better emissions one (green?) got extended?
Yes, The old yellow ones expired but they were extended at least once. Subject Top Page: ELIGIBLE VEHICLES - SINGLE OCCUPANT CARPOOL LANE USE STICKERS notes an expiration of 1/1/11 but Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers notes an expiration of 7/1/11.

Also, yellow ones hit issuance (# of sticker) limits at least once and the cap was raised at least once to 85K.

Green stickers also had caps that were raised several times and then it was removed. See 2nd URL.

If you want to dig up the history, go thru various copies at Wayback Machine.

My problem is...I'm over the limit now. So does the fact that I received a rebate in 2013 for a Volt I bought when I was under the limit now preclude me from receiving carpool stickers for a car I buy next year?

I honestly don't understand the point the the language. You already can't get a CVRP rebate if you're over those income limits. It's almost like it's purposely punishing folks to received a rebate before the limits existed.

I submitted a comment pointing this out to Assembly Member Bloom who authored the bill. I'll reply if I learn anything....couldn't hurt if others speak out too ;)
Where are you reading that the CA HOV sticker issuance is in any way tied to one's income, CVRP eligibility or (the new) CVRP income cap? I've never heard of a such a relationship. They were and still are (AFAIK) unrelated.

I was never eligible for CVRP. My 1st Leaf I leased for 2 years, so the lease was too short. I knew that going in. My 2nd one is used, so no CVRP. Both have CA HOV stickers, the latter came with them and I had to fill out a form to "transfer" them to me.

I agree that this thread should be moved to the California area.

Last edited:
Not if they disallow you from doing that or if they stop issuing any altogether.

In my option they obviously will, just like they will prevent people with 5 year old EVs from getting the new stickers. I was pointing out how ridiculous the idea was that they were going to allow people with older cars to just get the new stickers just because the law didn't seem to explicitly say you couldn't.

Where are you reading that the CA HOV sticker issuance is in any way tied to one's income, CVRP eligibility or (the new) CVRP income cap? I've never heard of a such a relationship. They were and still are (AFAIK) unrelated.

I was never eligible for CVRP. My 1st Leaf I leased for 2 years, so the lease was too short. I knew that going in. My 2nd one is used, so no CVRP. Both have CA HOV stickers, the latter came with them and I had to fill out a form to "transfer" them to me.

I agree that this thread should be moved to the California area.
The new draft bill here. See (b)(1).

I wouldn't mind the immediate end of any program that supports hybrids in any way. To wit, green stickers.

The sooner the collective we shift to non-ICE, the better. And hybrids by definition require an ICE component.

In other news, what do you call 50 Prii (Priuses) at the bottom of the ocean (yes, next to the lawyers*)?

A good start.

I've got 2 sets of those white stickers; couldn't and can't bring myself to affix any of them upon either of the cars, past or present. I may feel differently after getting my first $400 ticket, but until then, in the words of Louis C.K., "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

* No excessive offense intended toward any resident attorneys, either practicing or recovering.

• Funny
Reactions: Joelc
It also looks like the wording around income caps has been revised and fixed my concern about being prevented from getting a sticker if you got a rebate in the past and are now over the income limit. It seems that clause now only applies to rebates issued for cars purchased after January 1, 2018.

From AB 544
(B) A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) on or after January 1, 2019, for a vehicle that had been issued a decal, label, or other identifier pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) between January 1, 2017, and January 1, 2019, is valid until January 1, 2022.

The way I read it is that if you have a white sticker issued between 1-17 and 1-19 you get a new one good until 1-2022. Right?

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
From AB 544
(B) A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) on or after January 1, 2019, for a vehicle that had been issued a decal, label, or other identifier pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) between January 1, 2017, and January 1, 2019, is valid until January 1, 2022.

The way I read it is that if you have a white sticker issued between 1-17 and 1-19 you get a new one good until 1-2022. Right?

Hmmm, I do believe you're right. I certainly hope so. So it's to the governor for signature (or veto) now?

Took a bit of rereading, but that's ultimately how I understand it as well. I get it. You don't want this benefit lasting forever and clogging up the carpool lane, but you still want to incentivize EV usage. Til 2022 is quite a long time IMO so pretty pleased that's the year they chose to end it.