Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying $150 Key fob for wife, worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I know Colorado well, I lived in Gunnison 40 years ago and yes I am an old fart. If you were to have a flat tire in rural Colorado, how the flying flip would you call for help. I have not seen a pay phone in at least 15 years. I have not seen a payphone at an Interstate rest area either.
I don't live on "If" mentality. I didn't had flat tires in ages-if I do I'm not a kind of cry babies-life goes on!

Well, my wife is a non-tech person. So far, the MY Bluetooth works ok with her iPhone. But I don't know what is the failure rate in the real world. Anyone has connection issues with iPhone please chime in. I do know she can use a card-key in case the Iphone fails. But is worth it to buy $150 to have a better experience?
LOL, I know the question "worth it" depends heavily on your bank account and how much you are willing to spend. But just want to get the general senses :)

Thx guys

I haven't gotten my 7 seater yet, but I already bought a key fob. I like the idea that it has both buttons for opening the trunk and frunk and I'm used to carrying a key. I'm a working mom with 4 kids and have no patience for even 1 delay with my phone. So, key fob all the way for me. Plus, it's cute.

Reactions: MikeNY
Even BETTER discussion.

Since my iPhone is inconsistent with entry, and my wife doesn't handle electronic inconveniences well, I've decided to buy a key fob for her.

Done! Thanks for the lively discussion!

I've had two instances where both the phone and key card failed to wake the MY, only the FOB worked.

Curious, when the phone failed, did you try turning the phone's bluetooth off and on again? I have seen it in other stuff I am working on where the app can get out of sync with the bluetooth stack, and when that happens, it just fails. The solution to my non-Tesla issue is to turn off bluetooth, count to 5, then turn it on. Fixes it for me every time with my non-Tesla issue. No idea if the Tesla system is having the same issue or not, but worth a try next time. I see these mostly on iPhone, but once I did have an issue with Android.

Curious, when the phone failed, did you try turning the phone's bluetooth off and on again?
Unfortunatly, no... I was in a hurry to go to Home Depot before they closed for the night. The phone let me in the car but the main screen didn't even come on and doing a reset with scroll wheels and brake pedal did nothing. I then pulled the key card out of my wallet and tried that... still no response from the car. I ran in to the house, got the FOB and that started the car.

Thanks a lot for the information guys, it really helps. I decide to buy a key fob for following reasons, in order:
1) Being able to open the frunk/trunk with the key fob. Since MY is her car, she likes to put take-out food in the frunk since it won't smell the car. She does use the frunk a lot. I don't think she can do this with open Tesla App in her IPhone. Even she knows how to do it, she will refuse to do it since it's too much work
2) 100% reliability
3) In case Tesla does not autolock, she can just press the button on the key fob to lock the car. She knows how to do this for sure since all ICE cars introduced the key fob years ago :)

Again, thx a lot guys. Really help.
I will get a $150 Tesla Key fob for her.
As for the key fob to turn wife on/off, I am game. I am willing to go up to 10X, let me know where you guys bought it. I can go high up to $1500 :)

Reactions: Need
Thanks for the discussion.

To clarify: the Tesla keyfob opens passively 100% of the time? My wife prefers the convenience of car access w/o having to take the fob out of her purse.

Does the key fob LOCK passively, as well?

Yes.

The fobs have worked great for my 2012 Tesla Model S and 2017 Model X. When I got the Model 3, the phone works fine most of the time but not 100% then I'll have to troubleshoot, is the Bluetooth on? Is the correct car on the app? How about just restart the phone?...

So I bought the fob for Model 3 and it just works without having to troubleshoot just like the way the Model S/X work.

No need to think about it. No need to worry about unlocking or locking. It's all automatic with no thinking needed. No need to troubleshoot.

One less thing to worry about in life.

Keep in mind there is no way to attach the OEM Fob to a key chain or anything else... you need a: Fob Pocket...

Or you need a small loop to hook on the fob when you open up its cover.

I bought this model for $8.00 and it works well since 2012 till now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TMJHZ...olid=1QPCAFSO0HESI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

61z%2BzrkZFTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: CleverUsername
yes you should get it! It will make your wife much happier with the car. Even with location always on, my wife's iphone wouldn't open the car all the time, and required her to open to app. It was annoying to her and especially in chicago cold she hated to stand around waiting for it to load. I had pixel 3 XL and it worked 100% time, and switched to iphone 12 pro maxx, and I would say it only works 80-90% of the time. I don't mind opening the app and waiting. My wife loves the fob and makes the car easier for her to use, well worth $150!