Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best tires for standard aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no such thing as the "best" tire. That completely depends on your objectives for the tire. Most items in tires that you might want to optimize come as trade-offs for other items. If you want a smoother ride, your going to sacrifice some handling. If you want high traction in snow, you're going to get terrible tread wear on hot dry pavement.

You need to define what items you want out of a tire:
  • Dry Traction
  • Wet Traction
  • Snow/Ice Traction
  • Handling
  • Tread Life
  • Efficiency
  • Ride Quality
  • Noise Level
  • Convenience (All-Season vs. separate summer/winter tires)
  • Price/Value
Is the Michelin Primacy MXM4 the "best" tire? Well, if you like efficiency and smooth ride, then it's up there in the top choices. If you want to drive the car hard around corners on the track then it's not going to deliver. You'd want the Pilot Sport 4S for that.

Either one of them are some of the best tires at allowing you to crash repeatedly into other cars if you use them on ice. If you need to do that, then find some Nokian Hakkapeliittas.

There's dozens of tires out there that fit the Model 3. You can find one that approximates most of what you want, but you have to know what that is.

As somebody once said true DAT. Here's a link to the testing on the Michelin pilot sport 4S. it's the best overall street tire you can put on your car, and as I said above it's a low rolling resistance eco-tire like the stock all-seasons, although one has to suspect it's not perhaps quite as good as the MXM4 in that regard. I've owned multiple pairs of its predecessor tire, the Michelin super sport. And I've had a chance to experience the 4S on our model 3 performance version. It's phenomenal.

Last edited:
I don’t like the MXM4. They came stock on my 2016 Model S 90D. After 8000 miles the wet traction was very poor. The car fishtailed regularly on wet roads. Yes a dual motor Model S, non-performance. I replaced them with Pirelli P-Zero All-season plus. 16,000 miles later, no issues. Yes, I took almost a 5% range hit. But safety comes first. You’d have to pay me to take MXM4s and I’d still take them off after 5,000 miles.

For the 18” wheels, I’d probably buy the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or if you want to maintain range, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. And while it will hit range a bit, I’d also probably run 245/45-18 to better protect the rims.

As always, YMMV.

If you want one set, and it gets cold where you live, Conti DWS 06.

4S for summer only.
A lot of people prefer the handling of the Michelin PS A/S 3+ over the Continentals in the all-season category. I'm probably going to get a set of 3+ put on my car to replace the MXM4's.

Hearing the MXM4’s squealing and feeling breaking traction trying to make a left turn while beating a yellow light on a dry road when it's 70 degrees outside does not exactly inspire confidence on their quality. I was doing this turn and wondering if I was actually going to go straight into the curb and look like an idiot to the other drivers but the traction control is not to be trifled with on a Tesla.

Reactions: rluciano
I'm going to get the Michelin PS A/S 3+ in 255/40 for my 18" Aero wheels. Only 1.2% speedo difference. 0.7" wider tread so a little more rim lip protection. 0.2" lower sidewall so should be slightly crisper handling. I'm in northern NJ so I need a tire for the colder months. I think snow tires are a waste since we may only have snow on the ground a few days a year. The PS A/S 3+ are very close in summer performance to the top summer tires. Unless you are tracking the car or driving crazy most people will not exceed their performance thresholds.

The MXM4s are pretty far from 'excellent'

In NJ your best bet is:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS4s for when it's above 40 degrees

Another set of wheels and dedicated winter tires for the months it's below 40.

You'll get vastly better performance and braking all year round compared to any all-seasons.

I agree. I have found these less than inspiring in the rain especially.

I'm going to get the Michelin PS A/S 3+ in 255/40 for my 18" Aero wheels. Only 1.2% speedo difference. 0.7" wider tread so a little more rim lip protection. 0.2" lower sidewall so should be slightly crisper handling. I'm in northern NJ so I need a tire for the colder months. I think snow tires are a waste since we may only have snow on the ground a few days a year. The PS A/S 3+ are very close in summer performance to the top summer tires. Unless you are tracking the car or driving crazy most people will not exceed their performance thresholds.

PS A/S 3+ in 255/40 doesn't come in that size, 245/45/18 is the option

My understanding is that these tires are about as good as it gets for efficieny which is why Tesla chose them. Ignore the guy saying to get Michelin Pilot Sport PS4s...he must think he's going to win the daily commute race.
Lol I know seriously stop light racer. Just need my car to get my from point A to point B. The super sports are for super quick driving and some track times. I’d rather get a mileage king tires than anything. Heck I’m happy with the stock tires. It works, gets me to work and back lol

Discount tire won’t install it and they say that’s not what the door sticker says

Some tire shops will be like that. You should go to a different one. It is safe. A lot of forum members have installed lower load index and different sizes from the stock tires. The 20" sport pkg tires are a 92 load index. The 19" are a 96. This thread talks about it: Tire Load Index Question

• Informative
Reactions: Murattukaalai
Lol I know seriously stop light racer. Just need my car to get my from point A to point B. The super sports are for super quick driving and some track times. I’d rather get a mileage king tires than anything. Heck I’m happy with the stock tires. It works, gets me to work and back lol

The PS4s will also stop the car 20-30 feet shorter in an emergency.

If you don't mind getting to "point B" through the rear bumper of someone elses car though I guess you're still fine :)