Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery federal write off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a Federal Tax credit of 26% through 12/31 this year. Drops to 22% next year. Cannot be claimed until System installed and functional. So if not installed and functional this year, you cannot claim 26%
Does the installer provide any additional paperwork specifically related to the tax credit beyond the invoice, or is the invoice all you need?

They have to be paired with a solar system to be written off on the 26% discount according to the several providers I spoke to about getting a Powerwall. I cannot find any way to buy them and instal them myself, although I did see them show up on craigslist once or twice. I fear if I go them that way there would be no way to get Tesla to activate them on my account so I punked on buying them

So, if someone just purchases their own battery(s), can they be written of at Fed level? State level? I am in Calif.
What percentage does one get?

You mentioned (several times) you would never buy batteries, so I dont understand this question?

EDIT: I guess I should say, of course I understand the question, but since you wont be buying batteries, I dont understand why you are asking it.

Last edited:
They have to be paired with a solar system to be written off on the 26% discount according to the several providers I spoke to about getting a Powerwall. I cannot find any way to buy them and instal them myself, although I did see them show up on craigslist once or twice. I fear if I go them that way there would be no way to get Tesla to activate them on my account so I punked on buying them

Yes, forgot to mention the solar part.